This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL/SE2 stuck on the mobility

Started by Jonathan Sinclair Sinclair, April 2, 2017 · 6 Replies · 185 Views

Jonathan Sinclair Sinclair

Hey there,

I'm wondering what to do, as I'm finding that in SE1 for sPL, the Frog Stand was quite simple, yet the mobility (bent arm half straddle planche balance) was very difficult. I sort of struggled through not sure if the exercise or the mobility was more important, and I wanted to find a challenge for the exercise. Now I've just tested out the SE2, and the exercise is getting tougher (though I'll probably need to hit step 4-6 to really get challenged), yet this level of the mobility is way too difficult for me. 

Wondering what the best plan of action is here, just stick back in the SE1, and work on that balance mobility, or keep trying to work on the exercises at the level that challenges?? Thanks for any input!

Everett Carroll

Hi Jonathan,

With these sorts of issues, the best place to begin looking for deficiencies is HBP/PE3 and sPL/PE5. I suggest posting form checks of those in the F1 subsection and submitting footage of your SE1>iM here. You can link to those form checks here once they are up.

Never skip ahead to the next strength progression until mastering BOTH the PE and iM. Stay at SE1. 

Kai Ewert

While you work on the iM (which is a common sticking point, you will be able to find many a post with multiple suggestions as to how to attack getting the iM), don't forget to maintain your planching strength with leans. I found that the frog stand alone does not do much, especially if you get stuck there for a while

 

Borja Rojano Broz 230952

@Everett Carroll I am totally stuck wit this iM too. I don't even know how to set up the movement since the athlete on the video is already in position when the video begins.

As @Kai Ewert says, it seems that this iM is a major road block. A better video for this iM would be nice. I miss @Wesley's videos on foundation 2.

Everett Carroll

Hi Borja,

I suggest you send in form check videos for this movement as well as your HBP/PE3 and sPL/PE5.

To enter this iM, you can lower in from frog stand or begin from a crouch and lean forward. The key to this position is the forward lean and maintaining the correct scapular position (protraction and depression). 

Michael Hart

My main issue with the iM is that my wrists are tired after the 30s holds and in order to find the balance point requires my wrists to feel further load,  basically they don't get a rest between sets.  I assume I just need to persevere as always until my wrist mobility improves and gets stronger.  After all I need stronger wrists to progress....

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Michael,

In order to improve strength and flexibility in the wrists, I suggest taking a few steps back while working some wrist mobility on the side.