This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Would it be safe to train more after I'm done with todays' workout?

Started by James Cho, March 30, 2017 · 7 Replies · 293 Views

James Cho

Hi, currently passing through Foundation/Handstand 1 and it's been 3 weeks since I started my first day. It hasn't been so long, so most of designated workouts seem pretty much easy. So I was wondering what would happen if I add a few more sets or some exercises like pull up or chin up which are not yet a part of my routine. I'm aware that recovery is very important  and that I should avoid overtraining, so wanted to ask whether adding some extra training may be a bad idea in the long term. Or would it be safe if I can get it under control and recover for my next session each week? I've been doing pull ups, push ups and such for a few years so I'm kind of worried that my ability may degenerate if I cease to do those movements for some time until my program reaches there. Moreover, what's your stance for doing some cardio work like 2~3 times a week while passing through the program? 

Everett Carroll

Hi James,

Great questions. The workouts will soon get very challenging so I suggest refraining fro any additional strength work. Instead, I recommend you pick some of the mobility elements that you find most challenging and add them to the end of your workouts if you have extra energy. Feel free to experiment with some of the later mobility progressions (from your course library) but avoid training the strength progressions (PEs) that you have not yet reached. You will definitely not lose strength as long as you stay consistent with your weekly GST schedule. 

Cardio can be a great thing to add to your fitness plan. Here is a recent thread on cardio with some of the other coach's opinions: 

Paul Wallbridge

Enjoy the easy sessions while you can, they ramp up fast! :D I started too hard, missed out on form and ended up with niggling injuries. Now I'm back to the start and doing it properly with the correct load and trying to prevent serious injuries from occurring!

James Cho

Thank you for your replies!!!! I'll save up for later's training:)

Jon Douglas

A slower ramp up leads to a longer linear rise. Things will get harder soon :)

Leo Trinidad

When things get a lot harder you'll end up coming back to the easier progressions and appreciate them even more :D

Tom Feldmann

I recently tested this for myself. After ~6 months of GB training exclusively, not a single pull up, I can do more pull-ups, with better form,  than I could when I trained for them.

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Tom Feldmann,

Thanks for sharing this. Keep up the good work. We are excited to hear more about your progress this year. :)