genetic ceiling question

Started by Hayden.M., February 17, 2010 · 7 Replies · 4,357 Views

Hayden.M.

i hope i am using the right term when i say genetic ceiling, i dont know any other way of saying it. well, i was wondering if anybody could share their knowledge on; when do you know youve hit your genetic ceiling and how long would it take some ordinary fitness enthusiast to reach it with consistent hard work (3 - 4 times a week)? also, do ectomorphs have a lower genetic ceiling than mesomorphs? if so,would it be posible for the ectomorph to ever accomplish the gymnastic strenght feats that we all love at the olympics? e.g. maltese and other crosses, manna, etc.

thanks for your time,

Hayden

Neal Winkler

World class athletes have yet to hit the genetic ceiling in anything, let alone recreational athletes. The only reason world class athletes get closer is because they are willing to put in more work to get less result. You will never hit your genetic ceiling, but you may hit a point that you feel the cost of training is greater than the benefit of improvement. At this point you will seek out a different endevour or go into a maintenance phase for the rest of your life where you try to maintain as much skill as you can until you die.

You will never achieve the hardest gymnastics skills. Your ability to improve skills in mens gymnastics is determined by (1) being male and (2) not being very tall.

Don't worry about ecomorph this and that.

Hayden.M.
trianglechoke7 said:

You will never achieve the hardest gymnastics skills.

thanks for your time,

could you give a few examples of the hardest skills or the E level skills in mens gymnastics please. I dont want to set myself a goal that I will never be able to reach and that I would just be wasting time.

is Manna something I can achieve? and double twist? (im not very good at twisting, dont know what my problem is :? )

cheers,

Hayden

Guest

Hayden, it has been said before: just go out and train don't worry about what you will or won't achieve. Find out what you can do now and make it your goal to get to the next progression, no more, no less. And so on. This will save you a lot of headaches 8)

Like many of the forum regulars, I'd like to achieve a full planche someday. But I'm not going to get frustrated by the idea that I may never get that far in the progression, instead I'm focusing on working towards tuck planche (not even flat tuck planche) and once I reach that goal (which will be a matter of months) I will have the satisfaction of reaching that 'subgoal' in a relatively short amount of time. Only then will I look ahead to the next progression, and so on. Meanwhile, the idea of me doing a full planche is just floating around in the back of my head and it won't come to the front until I feel I'm ready to conquer it :)

Seiji
Hayden.M. said:
trianglechoke7 said:

You will never achieve the hardest gymnastics skills.

thanks for your time,

could you give a few examples of the hardest skills or the E level skills in mens gymnastics please. I dont want to set myself a goal that I will never be able to reach and that I would just be wasting time.

is Manna something I can achieve? and double twist? (im not very good at twisting, dont know what my problem is :? )

cheers,

Hayden

Depends on you. Basically, how much time and effort you are willing to put in to accomplish your goals.

One guy said I would never planche. My thighs can fit three of my flexed arms in them (maybe more) volume wise. I disagree with him. It would be waaaaaaaaaaaay harder for me to planche than your average joe because of how I am built, but that doesn't stop me from trying.

This coming from the guy who wants to do a Victorian (your class E) on the ground. (a skill that no one has done) 8D

Blairbob
Your ability to improve skills in mens gymnastics is determined by (1) being male and (2) not being very tall.

Incorrect. Being tall doesn't really matter on FX or V and HB has been done at Elite levels by some tall male gymnasts. Longer bodies can generate more swing.

http://gymnasticscoaching.com/new/2010/01/tallest-in-men%e2%80%99s-ncca-gymnastics/

However, it is unlikely a tall and long gymnast will be doing much as for strength moves on rings.

Neal Winkler

Seiji is still very young and has a youths perspective on the world where future possibilities seem bright and endless. As he grows older he will realize his limitations and begin to give up on his dreams. Just wait Seiji, just wait.

Blairbob, that's true. I had rings more in mind when I made that statement because it will do the most for getting dudes ripped.

braindx

You will near your genetic ceiling with proper strength and conditioning probably around 10-15 years into your training.

That said, most people don't do proper strength and conditioning...

Progress is fairly quick via linear progression for the first couple years but slowly tapers off.