Hi all, sorry to add to the volumes written on this already but I'm finding it really difficult. I find that I kick my legs up and after about a second I tip backwards and knees hit the mat. I thought I had the earlier progressions nailed but I suppose not. Does anyone have any exercises they used for easing in to it? At the moment I'm basically throwing myself into position and hoping to find my balance.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
bent arm half straddle planche hold - help
Started by Tom Dines, March 29, 2017 · 9 Replies · 263 Views
Hi Tom, can you post a video? how is your progress on HBP? especially the PE3?
To get a feel for the balance, try resting your body on your elbows as a half-straddle elbow lever.
Thanks for replying so quick guys. Here are videos of my current (lack of) progress for the bent arm and a few reps of HBP/PE3. I've just finished a workout, so please excuse my being out of breath (and the complete state of the table behind me!) I'm sure there are a myriad of issues with what I'm doing here (despite my best efforts) so please feel free to rip me a new one.
Hey Tom, your HBP PE3 needs some refinement, I ask you here to post a form check where I can see the entire body in the correct foundations 1 section so that I can give you more details.
IN the bent arms straddle hold you tend to jump into the position, my suggestion it is to put the knees on the floor, open your hips, bend your knees and your arms and then lean forward with the shoulders until the lean will balance the lower limbs weight.
This is also where I notice people startto get a real handle on their wrist flexibility and required level of finger turn-out for comfort. By comfort I mean being able to comfortably lean forward enough to balance this position.
This is related to the video Ale has asked for and we can advise on that then ![]()
I think in both your HBP and in the bent arm 1/2 straddle planche you'll notice your forearm is vertical. For the BASP your hands need to be further back than that, otherwise no amount of pushing strength will have you balance the position.
Look at the videos in Foundation and pay attention to how the forearm is angled compared to your attempt. This angle is directly related to how much lean you have.
Alessandro's advice is spot on with regard to the entry procedure and make sure you form check your PPPUs as per his instructions as this iM for planche is kind of a benchmark on how well you've mastered HBP PE3. You can also instead of jumping into the position, go into a planche lean, carefully check your protracting and depression of the shoulder blades, trying to maintain as much as possible that shoulder position carefully lower without losing lean and then lean further till it's just a matter of bending the knees to start balancing. The key point is that you're not trying to push up into this position, you lean into it till you are balancing.
Thanks for all the help guys. I'll submit a form check next time I get a chance and get back to work!
Someone posted a parallette progression structure wherein you work from tuck to more and more advanced tucks until you can open your hips and lean forward enough to do it on the ground. It's working for me.
10 hours ago, Chris Moody said:Someone posted a parallette progression structure wherein you work from tuck to more and more advanced tucks until you can open your hips and lean forward enough to do it on the ground. It's working for me.
that's me, it can definitely be an intermediate progression which leads to the final result of holding the bent arm str planche.