This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hand distance for Handstand

Started by Randeep Walia, March 27, 2017 · 4 Replies · 186 Views

Randeep Walia

I'm looking at the demonstration videos for PE7 and PE8 and it looks like the athlete's hands are pretty far apart while in a handstand. I thought shoulder width was the standard- is that not the case?

Alessandro Mainente

For handstand work considering the general distance between pbars rails, the shoulder distance plus 10 cm on both sides it is fine.

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

Personally speaking, I do my handstand training just inside of my shoulder width or just on it.  I am used to holding the "Streamline" body position.

 

Jason Pierce

I came across this thread searching for an answer to the same question as the original post.

When doing the hold I can hold it either wider, as in the video, or just at shoulder width. I am most comfortable with the closer placement of the hands.

I can do the mobility for both exercises with a close grip, almost at shoulder width w/ 4kg/9lbs. Alessandro has a good point as to practice this at the width of parallel bars.

However, for the walks I need to keep a tighter line and have my supporting hand inline with the shoulder. Does it matter if the hands are wide or just at shoulder width? Is hand placement comfort a weakness of strength, form or mobility?

Alessandro Mainente

Hey jason for the wall runs it is necessary to adjust the grip in order to feel the weight on the supporting arm and then shift the weight on the elevated arm slowly and in a controlled motion. in order to do that the grip must be reduced, the best solution to shoulder width at least until you got the correct symmetrical work and tempo.