How much glutamine?

Started by dgibbons, February 17, 2010 · 5 Replies · 4,736 Views

dgibbons

Im a rock climber who trains pretty hard. Im thinking about beginning to supplement with glutamine.

I weigh 53kg. It sounds like from Poliquin's recommendations I should be taking 16 1 gram capsules of L-glutamine. This sounds excessive to me. Any thoughts? Any good or bad experiences with glutamine and faster recovery?

Gregor

10g. You can take it higher doses to.

5g when you wake up and another 5g before you go to sleep. Take it on empty stomach.

Ido Portal

There are many uses for Glutamine supplementation:

Immune system boost, Gut repair, Glycogen replenishment, GH secration.

Depending on your goal, it will vary in timing, (Empty stomach, PWO with a protein shake, etc) and dosage. (from 5 gr - 80 gr in some cases)

Ido.

Mr.MJR

I think that minimum is 20-30g because there is a big loses in digestive process, bodybuilders take 20g preworkout and 20g postworkout

heinrich
5g when you wake up and another 5g before you go to sleep. Take it on empty stomach.

Would you recommend mixing it with carbs?

Joshua Naterman
dgibbons said:
Im a rock climber who trains pretty hard. Im thinking about beginning to supplement with glutamine.

I weigh 53kg. It sounds like from Poliquin's recommendations I should be taking 16 1 gram capsules of L-glutamine. This sounds excessive to me. Any thoughts? Any good or bad experiences with glutamine and faster recovery?

You aren't going to want to take that much at one time, and as a side note capsules are quite expensive. Glutamine doesn't have much of a taste in the L-Glutamine form, and powder is pretty cheap compared to pills, so I'd say go for that. Multiple servings of 5-10g over the day won't hurt you, but drink lots of water! Glutamine soaks up water. Not as bad as creatine, but it still does it noticeably with higher doses, like 10+g.

Also, from what I understand you shouldn't take high doses of creatine and glutamine at the same time. Apparently they compete for transport molecules into the blood, so you won't get full dose absorption. That's the word on the Web. Just food for thought in case you use creatine or think about it later.