This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Joint Popping during German Arm Swings and Pike Ups

Started by Nolan Phillips, March 26, 2017 · 4 Replies · 115 Views

Nolan Phillips

I'm just about to start my third week of GST. 

So far the workouts have been going pretty well both in terms of strength and mobility, but I have had some strange popping in some of my joints.

  1. My right shoulder pops during the German Arm Swings, and very occasionally during the Stiff Legged Windmill. I believe it is the acromioclavicular joint, but there is a chance it is the glenohumeral.
  2. My left hip is occasionally pops during pike ups. It seems to be on the outside, towards the back. 

I'm just wondering if there's something I should try to strengthen or loosen these joints to help smooth out the motions. Perhaps a form video for the arm swings would be appropriate?

A bit more about me:

  1. 5'9" 130lbs, fit/athletic condition
  2. I have a desk job, so my posture is bad and my hips are a bit tight.
  3. I do brazillian jiujitsu 1-3 days a week
  4. Just started doing Peter Attia's glute midius workout from Tim's Tools of Titans.

 

Thanks!

Everett Carroll

Hi Nolan,

Are the pops ever painful? If they are, consulting with a medical professional is going to be my number one suggestion.

 

Adrian Theopold

Oddly enough sometimes I encounter the same thing in one shoulder during the stiff leg windmill (though I couldn't put my finger anywhere close to the name of the joint... ). As it doesn't hurt I don't bother too much. 

 

Same goes for the tuck ups, there is a very distinct pop when laying down again on the right side of my lumbar spine. Might also be the hip, but couldn't really tell. 

More interestingly the popping stops after a few sets of straddle ups + jefferson curl and the spine feels simply good. So maybe adding some JC to your warmup might also lessen your Problem? 

As for "popping" in General I noticed from my experience that as long there is no pain related to it after a while it gets better as the joints loosen up. At least this is momentarily the case for my iMs from SLS PE 2+3.

Nolan Phillips

The pops aren't really painful.

They seem to have gone away in my tucks, but I'm still getting them in the shoulder for my arm swings.

Everett Carroll

Hi Nolan,

If they aren't painful or uncomfortable then the pops are likely nothing to worry about. It is still worth confirming that everything is okay by submitting a form check video and checking in with a physio.