This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Front Lever FL PE1 Question

Started by Patrick Winkler, March 25, 2017 · 7 Replies · 246 Views

Patrick Winkler

Hey everybody,

I am closing in on Mastery for FL PE1 and noticed, that I start with my back completely flat on the ground. After a few sets, my lower back starts to arch slightly (not much, but still). I can complete all sets with the slightly arched back, but not with my back completely flat on the ground.

I was wondering, if it is necessary to be completely flat to demonstrate mastery? There is nothing particular about the lower back in the form tips and the other videos.

Cheers  and thanks for your help,

Patrick

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Patrick,

As you do FL/PE1, your lower back must be pressed into the ground. If it is uncomfortable for you, try doing this exercise on a slightly softer surface. If the surface is too soft, however, it will take away from the difficulty of the exercise. Adding something small like a yoga mat will probably make things more comfortable.

I also recommend positing a video of yourself doing this exercise in Form Checks or submitting a video to Video Review. We will be able to give you better, more personal suggestions on how to improve after seeing a video.

Patrick Winkler

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that :)

 

Amy Wong

Hi I wonder the same: Just how flat must the lower back be on the floor? When I perform the hollow hold, my lower back is flat on the ground that my hand can't slide in, and from the side view there is no gap. However the middle portion of the lower back where the natural curve at the spine is (small of the back), that's not flat on the ground - it's slightly arched. Is that acceptable or must the ENTIRE back and spine be flushed to the ground? Appreciate your clarification.

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Amy, as a general reference the scapulae must be off from the floor.

Amy Wong
15 hours ago, Amy Wong said:

Is that acceptable or must the ENTIRE back and spine be flushed to the ground

Hi Alessandro, sorry I meant must the ENTIRE LOWER back and spine be flat on the ground. I get that the scaps should be off the ground, it's the lower back that I'm concerned with. The sides of my lower back is on the ground, there is no gap in which my hand can push through, but there is a slight arch in the small of my back where the lumbar spine naturally curves in that small hollow between the lower part of the latissimus dossi (the black circle in the attached picture). Is slight arch in that area acceptable for hollow hold?

image.thumb.png.8fc37e3140bb279a91778b500bf4d791.png

Darin Phoenix

Hi Amy, 

Can you post a form check for us so we can have a look? Generally speaking there should not be an arch in the lower back if you are in the correct position.You can post a form check from within your dashboard.

Amy Wong

@Darin Phoenix Thanks, I've just posted the form check request.