This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

DUMBBELLS

Started by JAY ROACH, March 24, 2017 · 9 Replies · 331 Views

JAY ROACH

I have recently switched from weight training to GST training. I have a complete set of dumbbells through 45lbs. as holdovers. I would like to clear some of them to make room. What is the heaviest dumbbell routinely used in GST training? I see 5 & 10 pounds used. For the standing oblique work I think I see a 25lb. Will I have use for the entire set up to 45lbs. eventually (foundation 4)?

Everett Carroll

Hi Jay,

I prefer a weighted bar over dumbbells for the MN mobilities like Jefferson Curls. J. Curls should be kept in your warm-up after mastery and the long-term goal for those is bodyweight. Your J. Curl weight is the heaviest you'll routinely need. 45-95lbs of weight will be needed for the standing weighted pike hangs.  

JAY ROACH

What would be the heaviest after mastery for exercises like Standing Weighted Oblique stretches and reps?

Pauline Taube

Hi Jay,

As Everett mentioned I think Jefferson curls would be the heaviest weights you need. You won't need to go as heavy on the oblique stretches. 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @JAY ROACH,

Once you have reached advanced elements, you wouldn't bother doing exercises like standing weighted oblique stretches and reps because you'll be using much more advance mobility work for that certain element.

Adam Hirshey

I am starting to do Jefferson curls today, and I know using a barbell is ideal and I will get to that very soon, but for the immediate future it would be nice to be able to use what I have without driving to the gym. Should I use one dumbbell and hold it with both hands, or is it better to use two dumbbells--one in each arm? Also, what is a good starting [total] weight for Jefferson curls, what's the max I should stop at (is that the 45-95 lbs you mentioned?), and how should the progression for adding weight look? 

Hopefully these don't sound like silly questions... I just want to be clear that I am using the right weight since it isn't always clarified. I know this isn't the right thread, but I was also curious about the weight used for russian twists. 5 lbs seems like nothing and isn't challenging, so I'm wondering if going up to 15-20 lbs is acceptable--or should I just use the weight that is used in the demonstrations and if it is too easy move on to the next progression?

Alessandro Mainente

Hey, Adam, you can use 2 dumbells ONLY if you can move down symmetrically.

Adam Hirshey
On May 1, 2017 at 1:37 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hey, Adam, you can use 2 dumbells ONLY if you can move down symmetrically.

Okay, that much I figured but thanks for clarifying. I just wasn't sure if the position of my arms was important or not (e.g. with a single dumbbell or a kettle bell my arms would be closer together than shoulder width).

Is there any rule of thumb you can give me for adding weight and when it is appropriate for certain exercises, like the ones I mentioned?

Everett Carroll

Hi Adam,

Begin VERY light with Jefferson Curls; the weight should feel nearly too easy. Many students begin these with no weight or just a few pounds. This will simply depend on your current mobility. 

I suggest remaining on the same weight for 12 weeks before increasing. Once the weight has been increased, the new weight should again feel quite easy. If not, you went too heavy. Continue in that fashion, increasing weight every 12 weeks, until you reach bodyweight.

Remember, there is absolutely no reason to rush these. Bodyweight J. Curls are a long term goal so take your time. 

I believe @Alessandro Mainente prefers 50% of bodyweight for MN/PE2 mastery. After mastery, these should remain in your core warm up as a single set of 10 repetitions. 

Adam Hirshey

Okay that's helpful information. I started at 30 lbs, which wasn't too hard and wasn't extremely easy either. I probably could've done 10 reps at that weight no problem. It got me reasonably sore the next day, but the good kind of sore. No pain or discomfort at all. Keeping your thoughts in mind, it seems like a good weight to start at so I will probably stick with that weight for a while. I noticed that in the follow along videos they go through the reps a bit faster than I did, but I'm guessing slow deliberate reps are best, especially at the beginning, to ensure proper form. I'll submit a form video from my next core workout to make sure I'm doing everything properly.

Thank you for the responses.