This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Standing Pike

Started by Michael Vetter, March 22, 2017 · 4 Replies · 127 Views

Michael Vetter

Hi there,

so in the video they show different versions of the standing pike depending on how flexible you are, like:

  1. hands behind legs
  2. wrapping hands around the legs and pulling
  3. going flat and trying to touch elbows to the ground

With 2 I can go further than with 1, obviously since I use my arm to pull myself into the stretch, is this what is called a passive stretch?

1 seems to require some strength to access that level, is this what is called an active stretch?

When should one use an active one and when a more passive one?

2 seems to get me deeper into the stretch, whereas 1 and 3 seem to also develop some kind of strength to actually bring myself in that motion without help.

Ferdinand Berr

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I'd like to ask one question about the Standing Pike, too:

 

I just started and I guess I'm pretty stiff overall - Doing the Standing Pike, I could reach the floor with my fingertips, but then I'm not able to maintain a straight lower back/APT. When I focus on holding that APT and not rounding the lower back at all, I barely reach a 90° angle between legs and upper body, putting my hands on my knees. Is it the correct approach to prioritize the APT like that?

 

After the Front Split session I mainly feel hamstring soreness - is that okay or does that mean that I didn't target my lower back the right way?

 

Thank you;)

Pauline Taube

Hi Michael,

Great questions. You are right about passive and active stretching. Passive is when you use force to get beyond your active ROM. In active stretches you eliminate the force. 

I would recommend to do both. In the. Beginning of the series you can start with a passive Stretch to push yourself further into the position. And at the end of the Stretch you can try to reach this ROM actively. 

Pauline Taube

Hi Ferdinand, 

Thanks for reaching out.

I would suggest to scale the Stretch to begin with and focusing on the APT. After a couple weeks you can try to relax your upper body more. 

It's completely normal to feel soreness in your hamstring and calves afterwards. You will probably feel it more in places you are more tight. The Front Split series do not specifically target your low back but many students have overcome lower back pain by working on their hamstring mobility in this course. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions. Also feel free to post pictures of your progress, we'd love to follow your training :) 

Ferdinand Berr

Thank you Pauline;)

 

I think I really should take some pictures of my starting condition in order to being able to compare afterwards. Gonna try to do so next time I do the stretching. For now my hamstrings are still feeling the work of monday's Front Split course:P

 

Just a little feedback/suggestion: I think it might be nice to have something like a little picture added to each stretching exercise within the courses, showing which muscles are targeted in the special exercise. Perhaps that's spoon-feeding a little too much, I don't know;)