Muscle up advice

Started by Jin Liu, March 21, 2017 · 2 Replies · 1,104 Views

Jin Liu

Hi, I train MU once a week since my main focus is the Foundations. But once a week is still something, and before I go too far down the wrong direction, I'd like some suggestion/advice on how to improve the form/efficiency. Below is a video of my ring MU. I'm sure there are a lot of details to tweak and improve. But what are the three main things you think I should fix right away, based on the video, to improve the technique? Really appreciate your feedback.

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Jin,

I don't suggest you specifically train muscle-ups until you are finished with Foundations. I know you are into at least Foundation Two for your pulling progressions which is awesome! The RC progressions and HBP progressions will dial in your basics and continue to indirectly improve your MU's.

That being said, a tiny bit of MU play is okay. My main suggestion for you is to avoid using any momentum to aid you through the transition. You want to be able to transition and push up with control. If you can't, then avoid MU's for now and stick to the basics. Also be sure you end each rep with a complete dead hang; it looked like your elbows were still bent some. 

Jin Liu
28 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hi Jin,

I don't suggest you specifically train muscle-ups until you are finished with Foundations. I know you are into at least Foundation Two for your pulling progressions which is awesome! The RC progressions and HBP progressions will dial in your basics and continue to indirectly improve your MU's.

That being said, a tiny bit of MU play is okay. My main suggestion for you is to avoid using any momentum to aid you through the transition. You want to be able to transition and push up with control. If you can't, then avoid MU's for now and stick to the basics. Also be sure you end each rep with a complete dead hang; it looked like your elbows were still bent some. 

Got it! Thanks Everett! :)