This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Handstand PE1 mobility form check

Started by Étienne Lajeunesse, March 21, 2017 · 19 Replies · 202 Views

Étienne Lajeunesse

It's not clear to me how low we need to go in the Handstand pe1 mobility and how far our hands must be from each other.  Currently, I can't go very low, but my hands are just a bit larger than my shoulder width.  And should our arms stay where they start, above our head? Can someone help me?

Thanks!

Pauline Taube

Hi Étienne, 

Good question. In this drill you want to focus on shoulder flexion. When leaning forward, you'll pull your hands slightly behind your head. The most important here is that you keep your shape and aim for a 180 degree lean. In order to achieve this you can start with a wider grip. Once you achieved the right amount of lean you can start to narrow your grip and work towards getting your hands shoulder width apart.

Please submit a video, this way we can assist you better :) 

Pauline Taube

Thanks for the submission, Étienne.

Unfortunately, the privacy settings of your video did not allow me to view the footage. Can you please change the privacy settings from 'Private' to 'Unlisted' and then resubmit the link?

Thank you, looking forward to helping!

Michael Vetter

The URL points to the My Videos section it seems. You'll need to give us the real URL of the video.

Like this it will only forward us to our personal YT video pages.

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hello,

Sorry, I don't understand, when I click on them, it goes directly to the individual video pages.  Is there something I do wrong? 

Thank you!

 

 

Étienne Lajeunesse

OK, I just saw it.  Now it should work :

 

 

I'm not used to put videos on youtube yet.

Alessandro Mainente

Well actually you are dislocating and not flexing, referring to the first video above, the 6 seconds position it is your goal, you should be able to draw a straight line moving from hips , to shoulders to hands. if you can dislocate the grip it is too easy for you.

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi Alessandro, so the 180 degrees lean is good?  I just have to narrow the grip until shoulder width?

One thing I don't understand, what do you mean by drawing a straight line from hips to shoulders to hands?

Thank you!

Affan Osman

This is what he means, at 6 second mark you have a straight line

 

After that the line goes away

IMG_4498.PNG

Étienne Lajeunesse

Oh ok! That's confusing, in the handstand series video it shows the arms behind the head, another coach told me 180 degrees lean...  I'll send another form check with a shoulder width grip just to confirm.

Thanks a lot!

Affan Osman

I agree it is confusing. I was also doing partial shoulder dislocates (240 degrees? :)) because the handstand series video shows that. The 180 lean doesn't mean you bend 180 degrees. The coach probably meant a slight chest lean with 180 degree shoulder flexion (straight line from hip to shoulder to hands). 

On a positive note, dislocates is a wonderful shoulder mobility exercise which will come later. :D

Étienne Lajeunesse

You're probably right!  I've been there once to the dislocates, but came back for form checks since I've never been corrected before.  I really enjoyed it!

As I said I'll send a form check to confirm everything!

Thanks again for the clarifications, really appreciated :)

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi!

Here's my corrected form check  for HS PE1 iM (sorry for the side): 

In the same time, here's the mastery form check of HS PE1 and iM (if the form is good).  Can I have some feedbacks to see if I can move to the next progression?

 

 

Thank you very much!

Everett Carroll

Hi Etienne,

Your tripod looks good to me. For your iM, I'd like to see more forward lean. Keep working to bring the bar back as you increase your lean. Also, ensure you are pushing the bar as high above your head as possible. Shrug your shoulders up to your ears during this iM.

Étienne Lajeunesse

Alright! I'm on it.  What about the PE1?  I assume it's good since you didn't mention it?

Thank you Everett!

Alessandro Mainente
On 24/3/2017 at 10:33 PM, Affan Osman said:

I agree it is confusing. I was also doing partial shoulder dislocates (240 degrees? :)) because the handstand series video shows that. The 180 lean doesn't mean you bend 180 degrees. The coach probably meant a slight chest lean with 180 degree shoulder flexion (straight line from hip to shoulder to hands). 

On a positive note, dislocates is a wonderful shoulder mobility exercise which will come later. :D

 

exactly that:

1-lean means the upper body (the entire upper body, torso + shoulders) leaning forward of about 30-45°

2-the shoulder flexion means (because some people can more) at least 180° (the famous straight line from hips to hands).

IM one consists of 1 + 2.

You PE it is good.

Étienne Lajeunesse

Is it better? Or do I have to work until a full flat back for mastery?

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Etienne,

You want to work towards the straight line Alex mentioned. That is a part of mastery and may take quite a few more workouts to achieve. You can't rush your mobility so stay consistent and you will get there.