Cissus Quadrangularis

Started by StevenJ, February 15, 2010 · 3 Replies · 3,159 Views

StevenJ

Hey everyone! I recently read an article in a bodybuilding magazine (Muscle & Body, Feb 2010) about this plant "Cissus Quadrangularis", the article makes it sound like a miracle plant, greatly stimulating bone/soft tissue recovery as well as having anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects AND non-androgenic anabolic effects, without having any adverse effects. It seems to have been used in Ayurvedic medicine for quite a while and prescribed often for fractures and things.

I've been doing some research more online and looking at things from bodybuilding websites, to blogs, to a study from the Department of Biochemistry, University of Yaoundé. They're all saying pretty much the same thing. I'm rather skeptical about anything of this nature though, especially when the effects are so positive without any kind of adverse ones.

I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this/used it/has any pertinent knowledge to this plant. I'm hoping it really is as amazing as it seems, because I would definitely add it to my supplements.

Thanks!

Neal Winkler

Never heard of it. I wouldn't trust it unless

(1) There were a pubmed reference

(2) I could see the whole article

(3) More than one study has been done with positive results

or

(4) A strength coach I respect has seen the full peer reviewed articles and says it seems legit

StevenJ

Nobody has ever heard of this/had any kind of experience with this before? Here are a some links to some places I was looking at. (a few out of A LOT)

http://www.lipidworld.com/content/5/1/24#IDAMO3MX (it's effects on obesity, interesting to note the side effects portion of the page)

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_o ... f160bc0e40 (analgesic properties, specifically pertaining to hemorrhoids, costs 31.50 to see anything but the abstract)

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_o ... 701ac20fab (from the same place as above, this time the effects on protection against ulcers in rats)

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/attachme ... ckness.pdf (another Indian study, this time on the plants effects on bone tissue in fetal rats)

If you're not a member of Sciencedirect.com then the middle two will be of very limited value. the first and the last I found interesting, though keep in mind that the last few are studies on rats not humans.

Dillon Castro

I've also been reading good things about this stuff actually, from about two dozen articles and studies it seems like a worthwhile investment, but so far I haven't seen anyone having done any long term studies on it. If you decide to try it out tell us what you're finding. I may end up putting this in my supplement cupboard.