Hello guys and coaches, I would love to add sprinting to my foundation programs, I have never sprinted before and don't know what program would be the best and what is the correct technique for it. Could you give me advice on a good program for it and the technique? Thanks!:)
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Beginning sprinting
Started by Edoardo Gervasi, March 21, 2017 · 7 Replies · 175 Views
Hi Edoardo, sprinting techniques requires a personal coach and a face - to - face tutelage. from behind a monitor it is impossible to give accurate advice on technical movement. Also sprinting requires a solid aerobic ability. this means at least run 10 miles in a hour.
4 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:Hi Edoardo, sprinting techniques requires a personal coach and a face - to - face tutelage. from behind a monitor it is impossible to give accurate advice on technical movement. Also sprinting requires a solid aerobic ability. this means at least run 10 miles in a hour.
I'd disagree to a certain extent. Sprinting is a mainly anaerobic exercise, there is simply insufficient time for your aerobic system to start delivering energy to your muscles at that intensity.
however, to agree with what you have said, a level of aerobic ability will ensure that your muscles are conditioned for running and you don't end up with multiple injuries and torn hamstrings! Head down to your local track and see if there is a group you can join up with. Alessandro is correct that coaching over the internet is very difficult
Gonna go to the local track then! Thanks!:)
2 hours ago, Paul Wallbridge said:I'd disagree to a certain extent. Sprinting is a mainly anaerobic exercise, there is simply insufficient time for your aerobic system to start delivering energy to your muscles at that intensity.
however, to agree with what you have said, a level of aerobic ability will ensure that your muscles are conditioned for running and you don't end up with multiple injuries and torn hamstrings! Head down to your local track and see if there is a group you can join up with. Alessandro is correct that coaching over the internet is very difficult
I hadn't any type of specifications about the nature of the sprint, so I preferred to be conservative.
1 hour ago, Alessandro Mainente said:I hadn't any type of specifications about the nature of the sprint, so I preferred to be conservative.
10 miles in one hour is hardly conservative! That's a fairly competitive pace... 10k in one hour might be more reasonable
I think he meant 10k not 10 miles
10 miles in 1 hr is pretty good considering professionals run half marathon (13.1 miles) in just under an hr!
i think it all depends on someones running level, if someone is a beginner sprinter and also a beginner runner then risk of injury is high if one pushes too hard. If one is already a runner then risk of injury is low for starting sprints. I once pulled my hamstring doing hill sprints, I didn't warmed up enough and pushed too hard. I couldn't run for couple of weeks. Now I am extra careful and warm up by running at least a mile.
Also what is hard run and easy depends from individual to individual. A difficult run for me is a warmup for a better athlete. There are some calculators out there that suggest sprint paces based on your previous runs. One popular one amongst runners is from McMillan running calculator
Well, sorry guys, I mean 10 km not miles.
In my gym there are many people who tend to ask for the benefits of HIIT and I'm pretty in favor of it especially the Gibala's protocol. But unfortunately if someone pretends to apply this type fo work usually need a solid basic aerobic capacity and some maximal strength ability.
The ability to hold the effort for a 10 km leads to the necessity to spend a good amount of time on basic aerobic work before approaching sprinting. From my pov it is a good way to avoid overuse injury of ankles and foot, the maximal strength training improves up to 17-18% the economy of the run. Not a case a reasonable approach of an Olympic marathonist programming should include a period of maximal strength training.