This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pulling height in the MU

Started by Simon Aspinall, March 20, 2017 · 8 Replies · 203 Views

Simon Aspinall

Hi there

I'm still to achieve my first strict MU. I've specifically stayed away from the kipping version as I'd probably injure my elbow or shoulder.

The issue I have is with pulling height - I can pull rings to chest (above the nipple line) but I have been advised by those around me that I need to pull lower than chest height to be able to transition.

Is there any accessory drills anyone can recommend please to assist addressing the height? My first thought was an assisted bent-arm hang with feet on the floor then band assisted off the floor then bodyweight hang. It's difficult to know as the first portion of the movement is vertical but then in transition there is a horizontal movement.

When I have attempted negatives from ring support to full straight-arm hang I always seem to fall through the transition point! Weirdly I can do 5 sets of five good quality ring dips and same again with ring chin-ups (ring to top of chest)

Any advice would be very gratefully received thank you.

Everett Carroll

Hi Simon, 

My suggestion is to keep on cranking away at your Foundation training. Remember that the entire Foundation Series need to be mastered before training R1. If you set your sights on the mastery of Foundations, I have no doubt that you will develop a solid muscle-up as a side effect. Your body will naturally find the correct position if your basics have been properly developed. For right now, there are more important components of GST to focus on.

Simon Aspinall

Thanks for the advice Everett, I guess sometimes you want to try and conquer it all immediately :-) point noted and maximum effort into completing foundation modules. Best wishes

Alessandro Mainente

When reaching the first muscle up you need to pull the pinkies down to the sternum, if not you have no chance to perform the transition it the easiest way as possible.

Simon Aspinall

Thanks alessandro it's a useful benchmark to know a height that is necessary however i think as everett suggests, complete the general foundations programme which have enough of their own challenges. Failing that: bicep curls.

Kai Ewert

If you maximize the ROM on your ring rows and retract fully in those, you should be well on your way. 

There is also a technique aspect to the MU as Alessandro hinted at, for the pull (towards the center of the chest) and then just the transition movement as such. I'd say yes focus on Foundation, but don't be discouraged to play with things like the MU for fun...

Simon Aspinall

Thanks Kai, yes I have been playing a bit, but only baby steps such as working on straight arm strength and indeed rows. My journey continues!

Jin Liu
On 3/20/2017 at 9:17 AM, Simon Aspinall said:

Hi there

I'm still to achieve my first strict MU. I've specifically stayed away from the kipping version as I'd probably injure my elbow or shoulder.

The issue I have is with pulling height - I can pull rings to chest (above the nipple line) but I have been advised by those around me that I need to pull lower than chest height to be able to transition.

Is there any accessory drills anyone can recommend please to assist addressing the height? My first thought was an assisted bent-arm hang with feet on the floor then band assisted off the floor then bodyweight hang. It's difficult to know as the first portion of the movement is vertical but then in transition there is a horizontal movement.

When I have attempted negatives from ring support to full straight-arm hang I always seem to fall through the transition point! Weirdly I can do 5 sets of five good quality ring dips and same again with ring chin-ups (ring to top of chest)

Any advice would be very gratefully received thank you.

I've struggled through the same thing. Thought that my pull wasn't high enough, or my dip wasn't low enough. But what really helped me, in my case, is to control the negative transition all the way with no dropping at all. The trick to me is to keep pressing strongly through the hands. IF you focus on pressing very hard through the hands, the elbows will lower with more control. Do it as slow as you can. Aim for at least 4 seconds transition time (per Alessandro, ha). Also I like to keep hands at arm pit level (or lower if you can) throughout the whole transition. Very demanding on the elbows, so I do it with moderation. After getting that solid, I don't even think pulling height matters, lol.  OK it's obviously a wrong statement. I think I'm so used to keeping my hands at at least armpit or chest level, and that height is enough to initiate a transition.

i'm not lying, lol!

Of course the better you are, the lower the hands, and the easier the transition. I'm still working on that... But yea, listen to the coaches and stick with the foundations! That's what brings it ALL TOGETHER.

 

Simon Aspinall

Thank you so much for your reply and excellent demo! Super smooth!

I have actually solved my problem by being rather spoiled with a ring thing harness at the gymnastics gym i have been going to. It even has a cable and adjustable plate assistance! So i get to play safely and slooooowly go through the technique with volume and graduating weight. I'll admit it does feel like cheating but it is done eith 100s of other small exercises in tumbling and coached group sessions. Got to about 15kg off bodyweight and doing a triple with slow negative and working slow to achieve 5x5 for every 5kg plate increment.