This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Questions about some exercises for Front Split

Started by Étienne Lajeunesse, March 20, 2017 · 6 Replies · 173 Views

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi,

I've got some questions about the Front Split exercises:

First one is for curled seiza.  I need to move my knees forward to feel the stretch, even with my torso straight, is it ok?

For my standing pike, my legs lean backwards a little bit.  I know that I don't have my full pike yet, so I have to round my back a little, do I keep it this way?

Then, on the Standing Single Pike, does the supporting leg need to touch the wall with the glute?  My quad is really tight and my hips turns a little bit on the side making that position hard to keep.  Can I  keep my leg off the wall?

The same thing happen for the narrow and wide Hurdler as my body tends to go on the opposite side of the bent knee.  Is there something a can do without supporting myself with my hand?

Thank you!

Pauline Taube

Hi Étienne,

For the curled seiza it's ok to move the knees forward, but try to focus on the toes. Try to curl them as much as possible under the feet. 

For the standing pike you can round the back a little bit. However this depends on your level of flexibility. If your hamstrings are very tight and you are unable to reach to the ground with your hands I recommend to lean forward with a straight back supporting your hands on your knees. 

When you perform the standing single leg pike you can stand a bit further away from the wall to begin with. Try to focusing on keeping the hips square and eventually you can get closer to the wall. 

For the hurdler stretches you can try to elevate your butt in order to prevent your body to fall over to the side. This will also make it easier to keep your back straight. You can also do some quad/hip flexor stretches before you do these exercises. 

Please submit a form check of all these exercises, this way we will be able to give your some more specific personal feedback. 

Étienne Lajeunesse

Thank you! I will send a form check!

Pauline Taube

Always welcome, looking forward to the videos :) 

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi Pauline!

I've sent every exercises of the front split in video review.  I don't know if you can see them, but if you can't do you want me to post my videos here?

Thanks :)

Pauline Taube

Hi Étienne,

Thanks for your submission. We have now reviewed your exercises :) 

Étienne Lajeunesse

I got them all!  I will send back corrections.  

Thanks again :)