This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulder pain with manna exercises requiring hang

Started by Andrew Dennison, March 19, 2017 · 1 Replies · 74 Views

Andrew Dennison

I have begun to experience symptoms of posterolateral shoulder pain and subsequent subacromial bursitis type symptoms mostly exacerbated by the hanging positions required for the Manna 4-6 exercises.  I had had a suprascapular nerve palsy 9 years ago that seemed to have been due to an over-exuberabant snatch and clean and press routine with a 70 lb kettlebell and this feels very similar to my previous symptoms.  I had actually diagnosed the suprascapular nerve palsy myself after having no luck with a few orthopedic surgeons when I noted progressive atrophy at the region of the supraspinatus and did an EMG on myself (I am an MD with training in this) and found signs of denervation (fibs and positive sharp waves).  I love the GB routines and don't want to get off the wagon, but I don't want to press it too hard to due concerns about irreversible denervation given my previous atrophy in the supra and infraspinatus.  The impingement would presumably be at the notch given that I had sensory/pain symptoms and that my supraspinatus as well as infraspinatus  were involved previously (not just my infraspinatus).  My question is if suprascapular nerve palsy is an issue often faced by gymnasts given all the hanging/overhead activities and what the most successful strategies are to overcome it without resorting to an exploratory surgery.  Thanks for any thoughtful replies.   

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Andrew Dennison,

Thanks for reaching out. This is not in the level of my expertise and maybe @Wesley Tan and @Mark Collins can give you a better advise on this one but my suggestion is to first consult a medical professional on this one prior to continuing Manna 4-6 exercises.