This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Questions about some exercises for Thoracic Bridge

Started by Étienne Lajeunesse, March 19, 2017 · 4 Replies · 136 Views

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi,

I have questions about some exercises we do in the Thoracic Bridge series:

-In Twisting Bear, is the goal to attain a full bridge in passing the moving arm above the shoulder down to the floor?

-In Supine Shoulder Extension Walk, what is the main purpose? Where do we have to touch the floor ideally?

-While doing the Supine Trap Stretch, I have my knees, shins and feet touching the floor, but I almost don't feel anything.  Is there something I do wrong or something I can do more to stretch more?

-In Prone Thoracic Band Pull to where do we have to stretch ideally?  Do we have to completely raise the torso to the back?

-On the ball for Inverted Cat, our back must be completely on top or on the front side?

-For Shoulder Flexion Stretch, how far ideally our hands must be from the wall?

-Then, in Elevated Thoracic Bridge, can we push our shoulders further than our hands or do they need to stay above?

Thank you!

Jon Douglas

Hi Etienne,

- The twisting bear is to move in this direction, and over time it will be easy to continue through into a bridge (and out the other side). However it is not necessary to aggressively increase ROM on it to get this; there is plenty of benefit in getting the shoulder moving through the rotation without going to a full bridge. I do these most days in warmup and don't rotate through to bridge  (although it is easy for me) until my last one, when I will hold the bridge for 30-60 as the next part of my warmup :)

- For extension walk, touch the ground behind you, keep elbows locked, and walk hands around to at least 90 degrees. Try to only raise the chest the minimal required.

-You may need to play with the positioning  to get the angle right on the traps stretch. I find i have to get my upper back closer towards vertical.

- For the band pulls, just keep working to extend the ROM, trying to emphasize a vert by vert pull. There is no 'too much ROM' for this one (well, there probably is, but let's be real here :D )

- Inverted Cat - back is on top. You are trying to use it to minimise the lumbar stretch and move the bend upwards to comprising of thoracic extension and shoulder flexion

- HS shoulder flexion - The further the better, PROVIDED your ribs stay downand you avoid a lumber arch. Maybe aim for around 6inches? Hard to say without seeing you on this one, just ensure handstand lines are maintained while you over -flex.

-Push shoulders and chest past hands. But before that ensure your arms and legs are locked out and the bend is in the upper back/shoulders. Not following these points will make pushing over further pointless.

Étienne Lajeunesse

Thanks! I will send a video just to check my hs shoulder flexion form.  But at least, no matter the distance, it does need to touch the wall, right?

Jon Douglas
2 hours ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

Thanks! I will send a video just to check my hs shoulder flexion form.  But at least, no matter the distance, it does need to touch the wall, right?

That's right, chest to wall :)

Étienne Lajeunesse

Good! Thank you very much!