This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Foundation Volume Days

Started by Ryan Bailey, March 18, 2017 · 4 Replies · 343 Views

Ryan Bailey

I am curious about "volume days".

Yesterday, Friday, I completed a volume day.  (Maybe for others its not volume but for me it was). I completed a single (Step 9) set of every element and mobility in Foundation 1. It took about maybe 1 hr. 45 minutes and it shed some light on certain areas I definitely want to plug into warm up and alerted me of other areas that may fall off if I do not train volume, at least every now and then.

So, my question is:

Do you train a volume day? If so, what and how?

(Do you pick a handful of previous elements and just go to town on them with the headphones on enjoying the ride?)

I think I am going to be mixing it up for any future volume days, but completing each element in Foundation 1 is very refreshing and a good learning opportunity.

Looking forward to your insight,

Ryan

Jon Douglas

I particularly like the simplicity of timed sets myself,  especially when reps get quite high. 

I generally follow the format of my normal strength days but up the reps (and obviously drop the intensity). I will superset rather than alternate  strength/ mobility  (but include a solid stretch afterwards). I run them mostly as play days,  especially if there are elements or challenges I want to try :)

Cody Clark

Ryan,

Nice!

I've been interested in the concept of a 'volume day' for a while now; and recently started experimenting with them... Here is what I'm currently doing:

I take a 'level' of Foundation (starting with PE1), and perform all the elements within that level as follows:

1 set - 2x Step 9 duration/reps (and 2x the mobility)

So, I take all of the PE1's+iM1's, do them for 2x the Step 9 volume, and do it like a F7 workout. I'm planning to work up the volume from there, each week.

I have the (somewhat arbitrary) goal of being able to do all elements of a given level for 1 set of 3x Step 9 duration/reps, before bumping them all up to the next level. Not sure what the appropriate approach is here, but that's what I'm doing!

My initial feeling is that I like doing it this way; it doesn't take too much time, but I get a decent amount of volume in, and the intensity is low. Seems like it 'feeds' the connective tissue... 

I'm wondering how far I could (should) push this...  do the entire mastery duration/reps in one set (for example: 1x75r of sPL/PE1)? I also wonder what I should do with the mobility (especially if I start moving things up. I don't think I would want to do 1x25r of Jefferson Curls!). Maybe keep it at 2x the mobility and do a thorough stretch after?

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the feedback in this thread... Interested to see what others do.

Cody

Briac Roquet
6 hours ago, Cody Clark said:

Ryan,

Nice!

I've been interested in the concept of a 'volume day' for a while now; and recently started experimenting with them... Here is what I'm currently doing:

I take a 'level' of Foundation (starting with PE1), and perform all the elements within that level as follows:

1 set - 2x Step 9 duration/reps (and 2x the mobility)

So, I take all of the PE1's+iM1's, do them for 2x the Step 9 volume, and do it like a F7 workout. I'm planning to work up the volume from there, each week.

I have the (somewhat arbitrary) goal of being able to do all elements of a given level for 1 set of 3x Step 9 duration/reps, before bumping them all up to the next level. Not sure what the appropriate approach is here, but that's what I'm doing!

My initial feeling is that I like doing it this way; it doesn't take too much time, but I get a decent amount of volume in, and the intensity is low. Seems like it 'feeds' the connective tissue... 

I'm wondering how far I could (should) push this...  do the entire mastery duration/reps in one set (for example: 1x75r of sPL/PE1)? I also wonder what I should do with the mobility (especially if I start moving things up. I don't think I would want to do 1x25r of Jefferson Curls!). Maybe keep it at 2x the mobility and do a thorough stretch after?

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the feedback in this thread... Interested to see what others do.

Cody

I like this approach. Regarding your question at the end, it's a volume day, so you're supposed to drop intensity. For weighted mobility, that would mean dropping a bit of weight, so for instance, 25 Jefferson Curls can be quite okay as long as you don't do it with too much weight. Also doing the entire mastery reps/duration is certainly possible, but might not be equally easy for all elements (thinking of FL in particular, at PE1 at least).

Jonas Berglund

Great and intressting topic,, My question about volume days is how early in GST its getting important. So far im very early in and havent started doing any Jefferson curl or weighted mobility yet. I cant go back far in progressions because i havent mastered many exercises yet :)