This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Biceps activation during Plank/Planche/Scap Shrugs

Started by Adrian Theopold, March 17, 2017 · 3 Replies · 140 Views

Adrian Theopold

Hi everybody,

as the topic suggests I have a question regarding the exercises from sPL (except PE2) and how much one should focus on activation of the biceps.

When I try to push through the biceps it basically results in turning the elbow pits forward which feels very stable, but I was wondering whether this is correct.

I first noticed that I push differently with my left and right arm when refining the movement from the scap shrugs. Me being a right hander I noticed that my right elbow didn't twist much when retreacting my shoulder blades while the left one turned much more inwards (both elbows were extended though).

I now try to do the scap shrugs without any twisting of the elbow and having them completly turned outwards which hits my biceps really hard, but at least seems to result in my left arm catching up to the size of the right one:lol:.

Should I continue to perform in this manner or simply focus on the following PEs?

Best regards,

Adrian

Alessandro Mainente

The twisting of the elbows increases the stretch on the biceps, in fact during shrugs there is practically no activation in the bicep due to the locked position of the hand on the floor.

Now generally try to do the movements symmetrically and focus on the cue points of the course.

Adrian Theopold

Okay got that!

I'm just curious, because the first thing that gets shut down when performing them with elbows turned outwards is my biceps. ( I mastered PE1 already, but when doing it in this fashion I'm wont't get any further than 4 x 12 reps without breaking form) Is this due to the stretch then?

And is there any benefit doing it that way or is it simply harder?

 

Alessandro Mainente

Yes, because they are both stretched and they work passively to avoid excessive elbows extension.