This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How much is too much?

Started by Michael Sanders 246616, March 16, 2017 · 1 Replies · 114 Views

Michael Sanders 246616

Hello all!

  I began GST January 2017 with Foundation and added the stretch series a couple of weeks later.  I feel stronger and more limber than I have in years.  I am 31 and run a custom cabinet cabinet shop, which has me lifting and moving 80lb sheets of plywood and other heavy stuff everyday.  I have decent practical strength, but not much mobility at all, and as I get older, crouching and bending over have started to feel harder than they used too.  That is why I began GST, too prevent myself from hurting myself.  I don't have any prior injuries, I just want to work to prevent them in the future.

  Last week after I did the thoracic bridge series, my back was super sore.  It was like the way it feels when I have to sit at desk for a couple of days, where it is uncomfortable to sit up straight because have been arched forward for a long time.  The following day the soreness was much better, but when I arched my spine backwards, in a seal stretch, the was a sharp pain in the middle of my thoracic spine.  Like two of the vertebrae where pinching a nerve or something.  It was not so painful that I could not stand it, but certainly uncomfortable.  I am no doctor, and know very little about physiology or exercising in general, and I also know that an internet forum is not a substitute for seeing a doctor.

  I did not do the bridge series this week because the sharp pain when I bend backwards persists.  I feel great in every other position.  No pain unless I arch my spine backwards, and even then it has to be arched in a specific way to get the pinching pain.  It is a little bit tender when I poke at the spot where the pain is. Does this sound like something anyone is familiar with?  I think I clearly pushed myself too hard.  It may have been doing the band stretches arching back, though I am not sure.  Are there any stretches I should do to help recover?  How long should I allow the pain to persist before I see a doc?  Is there any other advise other have for my situation?

I know I am not going to get a diagnosis from the internet, I am just look for a little guidance and direction.

I appreciate the help in advance! 

- Michael Sanders

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Michael, as you stated it is not possible a diagnosis from the keyboard, especially in your case the spine it is a critical body structure. if the problem persist PLEASE consult a specialist as soon as you can. No one can can say something accurate in this situation.