This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Progress is possible!

Started by Laurie Donaldson, March 14, 2017 · 7 Replies · 592 Views

Laurie Donaldson

Just wanted to say that I am only 3 weeks in with Foundation 1 and the three Stretch series and today was the first day I really noticed some improvements. So it is possible for us in the older age brackets to loosen up those 50+ year old joints. Most notable today was a definite lowering in the standing pancake position (not knees to chest yet, but at least my fingers can touch the floor with a flat back now) and the frog, butterfly, and even that dastardly windmill was better.  I am not nearly able to reproduce all of the stretches but I attempt to get as close as possible each time, even though that is not very close in some instances. Thoracic mobility on my front side is definitely lacking - I can't even get into any kind of bridge at my shoulder end, so lots of work to be done there.  I'm thinking stall bars are definitely in my future to help with that. Thanks for all of this  - it is definitely humbling and never boring.

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Laurie, I'm happy to hear that from you! very Inspiring! 

Deb Ludington

Hi Laurie! I hear you loud and clear. I am almost 55, in my 10th week of F1 and the stretch series and the progress is tiny and slow, it is very humbling. But when you see something improve, W O W! It feels so great. Good luck with the program!

Laurie Donaldson

Thanks, Deb - same to you! The thoracic mobility stretches are the hardest for me. I do ok up to the handstand part, then I just have to laugh. I can barely reach the wall behind me over my head with the standing bridge. I am pretty sure I could not do a decent bridge even when I was a kid. I wonder if having a short torso has anything to do with that? I have long legs and arms for my 5'3" frame but am very short-waisted. I'll keep plugging away at it. There is definite improvement each time and I feel great!

Suzanna McGee
4 hours ago, Laurie Donaldson said:

I can barely reach the wall behind me over my head with the standing bridge.

That was me when I started 32 weeks ago… I did reach the wall (somehow), but the hands were maybe at the shoulder height. Maybe not even that deep… now, 32 weeks later, I can walk myself in the Bridge Walk down to the first (bottom) rung on the stall bars. I even gently touched the floor with one hand. I am soon 52 years old. 

Pauline Taube

Amazing ladies! Please post your progress so that we can follow your GST journey :D 

Tevdoradze David

Hello. Is it possible to reach the level of pancake stretch just in the morning directly from bed, without warming up touching the floor with belly without any slight efforts? Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

HI David, it is cold flexibility, something that usually you tend to show when you are a kid, having a cold flexibility it is both a matter of strength int he maximum range of motion and also passive flexibility.