This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How often for thoracic stretches?

Started by Kanesa Seraphin, March 14, 2017 · 4 Replies · 146 Views

Kanesa Seraphin

I started GST, with fundamentals and the handstand series, because of a sore neck (and some bulging discs). I quickly discovered that my upper back was a major part of my problem, and I started the stretch and foundation about a month later (Sep 2016). They have helped me so much! 

My question is about frequency of the thoracic stretch tape or frequency of specific stretches. In the front split series, coach says to only do the stretches once a week (Me and both of my calves are TOTALLY fine with that!). However, even as my neck and upper back are getting better, they are getting tight from my sports (surfing) and work (computer). I find myself craving the thoracic series and doing some of it on my own during the week (the tumbling in movement series is also very helpful). 

I'd appreciate advice on which of the thoracic stretches I should keep to once a week, and which can I do on a more regular basis.

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

HI Kanesa, my suggestion it is to still perform the stretch series once a week , There are any type of stretches position of the T-spine series that you have to avoid due to your neck problem? this is important before suggesting you something else.

Kanesa Seraphin

Thanks Alessandro- I don't have any limitations other than 1) avoiding neck pain or activities that correlate to later neck pain and 2) not carrying objects on my head (which I used to do regularly).

Alessandro Mainente

For your traps specifically a gentle stretch every days of TBSSE6, TBSSE9, TBSSE24 it is a good idea.

Kanesa Seraphin

Thanks Alessandro! I had been doing some extra TBSSE6 (underneaths) and seen them in some of the online courses, but I was definitely wanting to do more TBSSE9 (taps/overhead) so thanks for confirming OK... and I neglect the TBSSE24 (standing pike), so great reminder. Mahalo,k