This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Healthy fat help

Started by Mike Lounsbury, March 12, 2017 · 5 Replies · 123 Views

Mike Lounsbury

Hi guys, its my first week of thrive and I headed to the grocery store yesterday on a mission to get 4 things.

1 eggs (omega 3)

2 nuts

3 greek yogurt

4 heavy cream

1.5 hours later and the only thing I walked out with that I was confident about.......my nuts.

So first stop was eggs and I had two options for omega 3, but they both only had 75mg...fail. I ended up buying free range eggs because I read in another post that was acceptable. Next stop greek yogurt, I looked at every yogurt option they had and could not find any that had a lot of fat content. Here is a pic of just a plain greek yogurt, 0g of fat, wtf???

IMG_1739.thumb.JPG.002cd35b87445cea09cffba1b80d8ef3.JPG

Here is the yogurt I walked out with, is this ok? That was the highest in fat I could find.

IMG_1740.thumb.JPG.551ada47b5f1efb0666f3a1d617b5453.JPG

They did not have heavy cream, but I got whipping cream that was 35%, the fat is 5g per 1 tablespoon, I think this is ok?

I also bought a milk that was 3.25% and 8g per 1 cup. Would this be acceptable if I was just adding it to my coffee or still not enough?

Last thing I got that was not of the list is peanut butter, I know peanuts was not included in the list of nuts but looking at the label the only ingredients was peanuts. Here is a pic of that. So this has 7g per 1tbl which is the same amount as the yogurt per 1/2 cup. Does this work?

IMG_1741.thumb.JPG.8e258a85c7cf8038f19d55b877c5ef84.JPG

Sorry for all the questions, was more confused when I walked out of the store yesterday then before I walked in. Don't know if it helps but I live in Ontario Canada.

Thanks,

Piotr Ochocki

In short - it is your first week, don't worry too much on the exact volume of fat, just add it to the breakfast for now as written in the lesson (in a way/volume that is acceptable for you, makes sense, tastes good, feeds you well, etc), as you read through the forums later you will find few more advises on this.

Few more points:

Eggs - research papers show that fat content is drastically different depending on diet chickens had (what isn't any surprise), if they were feeding out on the grass, digging some worms, then eggs/fat would be richer/better. Here where I live now, egg labels don't show precise fatty acid content, there is only one brand that shows more than just saturated/unsaturated - but they market they product as high in omega-3. They achieve it by feeding chickens with modified food. I tried that, but then thought I would be probably better off just getting quality eggs.

Greek yogurt - 9g of fat is highest I can get here in the supermarket. Yes, there are 0% fat products everywhere, if you weren't reading labels before then start doing it and consider it as a very good side effect of the program :)

Peanut - IMHO I don't consider it as any quality fat source, in fact it isn't even nut, but legume.

Ching Yin Leung

For yogurt, check the ingredient and try to find "whole milk" instead of "skim milk". The only other ingredient necessary would be the bacteria culture. Some Greek yogurt might add back milk protein. Doesn't matter if they're Greek or regular, you can always strain it if you want it Greek style.

I've been getting 1kg Saugeen Organic Yogurt in Ontario. Biemond Yogurt seems good too, they specify that it's grass-fed. I think Farm Boy grocery store also sells re-branded Biemond Yogurt. Liberte Mediterranee Plain 10% is 18g fat strained yogurt and more common in many stores. It has additives (protein and cream) but still a good choice over most other crap in the store.

You might have to check the organic section for these items.

Mike Lounsbury

Alright, thanks for the replies guys, I will be checking out different stores and reading more labels in the future

 

Jeff Serven

Good work Mike and welcome to Thrive! 

Generally you want a yogurt that has twice the fat as carbs. Try anther grocery store. Also know that of the 50 kinds they have normally only one will fit the bill. For the eggs - if they call out O3 in any amount that's better than not. 

Just keep on your mind to do the best with what you have. Don't get caught up with "optimal" at this point. 

Good work

Mike Lounsbury

sounds good, thx Jeff