This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Successful Stall bar alternative for home training

Started by Leigh Kettle, March 12, 2017 · 21 Replies · 276 Views

Leigh Kettle

Hey guys 

just purchased hs2 and as someone who trains at home was disappointed  to see That the first IM required the dreaded stall bar - something I don't have anything remotely similar to 

now I know this question has been asked but this question is specifically to you guys  out there who have managed to find a successful way of substituting stall bars whilst working out at home with no smith machine, gym equipment etc . 

im just intrigued to see if anyone could submit pics of what they have found to be a useful substitute for stall bars while training at home ... if any 

many thanks 

Leigh 

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Hey there,

Just use two doorway pull up bars set at knee height distance.

Feli

Leigh Kettle
12 minutes ago, Felipe Garcia Rosa said:

Hey there,

Just use two doorway pull up bars set at knee height distance.

Feli

Thanks Felipe

yes I did see this being scouted as an option tho I must admit I've always been apprehensive about using something that isn't fixed .

ive just been scanning the web for purchasing some and mounting them on to the only  bit of wall I have ... this wall has has a useable height of 1.8m so I may have to adapt it to this height once it arrived

what do you guys think to this one that I found - any things to note ??the distance between the bars is 20cm

leigh 

 

IMG_3380.PNG

Everett Carroll

I haven't used that specific stall bar, Leigh, but the spacing between rungs will do the job.

I have used hand railings and playground equipment to substitute stall bars. Have a look around to see if anywhere nearby has something you could use. Chalk and a couple of yoga mats are usually a nice to have around as some of those bars can be very slippery. You can wrap a mat tightly around a rail to help wth grip. Hope this helps!

Leigh Kettle

Thanks everett

ideally it would be something at home as all my other equipment is here so to travelling to do part of the course wouldn't be at all feasible. .i will mostly purchase these then if you feel they are fit for the job 

thanks again

 Leigh  

Leigh Kettle

Because of my limited space it's looking highly likely ill have to build my own 

doing some research it seems I'd need a hardwoood dowelling at around 22mm thick like the ones in pic would this be right?

also what is the best spacing between the bars for all of gst uses ?

Many thanks 

leigh 

 

IMG_3382.PNG

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

If there is a ladder in the ground, that can work. Alternatively, if you're going to install them, I would go with the rogue stall bar 3.0 and the steel option. Most people reference how the wooden dowels bend and can once in a blue moon snap. I just would never want to risk that. But that's me. Good luck. 

Leigh Kettle

@Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Thanks for this Daniel appreciate your help 

If I were to make them What would your bar thickness and spacing preference be ? 

Leigh 

 

Ryan Bailey

Hi Leigh,

I used these plans:

65r8et0.thumb.jpg.49a98a774c7927b5bd4ed5b720be16f6.jpg

I also used 1.25" red oak dowels. I would have gone thicker if I had to do it again

Ryan

Leigh Kettle

Thanks Ryan that's great thanks so much 

gonna start getting stuff sorted asap

leigh

Suzanna McGee

I used to use different hand rails, in the gym, or park… I installed the stall bars eventually. I wish I have done it earlier. The best thing that happened to my home  :-) Go for it @Leigh Kettle, you gonna love it more than anything else. 

Affan Osman

I am thinking of getting the Rogue Metal Stall Bar 3.0 Crossmember Set. There are two options for it, 2" depth and 3" depth. Which one do you guys recommend?

Luke Searra

Any pictures of any of your creative substitutions are very welcome @Felipe Garcia Rosa

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Will post!

Suzanna McGee
4 hours ago, Affan Osman said:

I am thinking of getting the Rogue Metal Stall Bar 3.0 Crossmember Set. There are two options for it, 2" depth and 3" depth. Which one do you guys recommend?

I don't have the Rogue ones, and I am not sure what depth I have, but I would for sure want them deeper. My big feet are touching the wall sometimes when I stand on the rung. 

Kai Ewert

I used 5.5 in spacing between rungs and 1 3/8 in diameter rungs. Otherwise similar to Ryans plans. I would not go smaller on the diameter even with oak rungs (I used poplar because of its ready availability). For durability as well as feel. I have the top, offset rung at 1.25 in and the others feel nicer in my hands.

I have broken two rungs doing pHS iM exercises but it is not a big deal, it's not that you'll crash down head first from a large height. Some kind of mat would be advisable nonetheless. 

Luke Searra

@Kai Ewert What kind of wood were you using Kai?

 

Kai Ewert

For the rungs I broke? Both were 1 3/8", one was poplar and the other pine. A bit (~ 3in) longer than 3 ft (including the part that sits in the side supports). 

I'd say the pine broke quicker. It also "broke more", as in it really split (along the wood grain), producing two fairly sharp parts. The poplar just kind of cracked through near the middle and I was left with a slightly V-shaped, lose rung. So I used poplar when I replaced the rungs (I had no success finding single dowels of oak or ash at 1 3/8" and a bit over 3 ft long) recently.

FWIW, I'm about 170 lb. But the inverted pike stretches must load the bar you hold on to with much more than body weight. 

Affan Osman
On 3/12/2017 at 9:05 PM, Suzanna McGee said:

I don't have the Rogue ones, and I am not sure what depth I have, but I would for sure want them deeper. My big feet are touching the wall sometimes when I stand on the rung. 

Ok. You made a strong case for 3" :)  Thanks!

Felipe Garcia Rosa
On 3/12/2017 at 7:04 PM, Luke Searra said:

Any pictures of any of your creative substitutions are very welcome @Felipe Garcia Rosa

 

On 3/12/2017 at 10:25 AM, Leigh Kettle said:

Thanks Felipe

yes I did see this being scouted as an option tho I must admit I've always been apprehensive about using something that isn't fixed 

Great decision Leigh. Lower doorway pullup bar suddenly unfixed this Saturday when I was dropping into the stretch. I slammed my face very hard on the floor, went to Hospital and luckily everything was good. Could have hurt my eyes since I landed with my right cheekbone and my hands were on my back.

Kai Ewert
18 hours ago, Felipe Garcia Rosa said:

 

Great decision Leigh. Lower doorway pullup bar suddenly unfixed this Saturday when I was dropping into the stretch. I slammed my face very hard on the floor, went to Hospital and luckily everything was good. Could have hurt my eyes since I landed with my right cheekbone and my hands were on my back.

Yikes!! :blink: Glad you are ok!!!

Leigh Kettle
21 hours ago, Felipe Garcia Rosa said:

 

Great decision Leigh. Lower doorway pullup bar suddenly unfixed this Saturday when I was dropping into the stretch. I slammed my face very hard on the floor, went to Hospital and luckily everything was good. Could have hurt my eyes since I landed with my right cheekbone and my hands were on my back.

Oh dear Felipe 

hope you are ok, glad it wasn't any worse 

another nail in the coffin for those door bars. Like I say I've never trusted them and this reinforces that fact