This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Overview review and recommendations Foundation 1

Started by Christopher Egan, March 11, 2017 · 7 Replies · 442 Views

Christopher Egan

 As a relative beginner of your program I would like to make a few suggestions as to how the program is designed . I recently purchased Foundation One and have been working my way through the program for the past two months.  I really love the philosophy of balance strength and injury prevention of the joints. What attracted me to the program were these principles. I wanted to strengthen my joints and avoid injuries as I have had many of them over the past 20 years of weightlifting and bodywork.   However, what I found initially confusing and somewhat dismaying, was how the workouts were broken out. Immediately it seems I only had access to half of what would've been suggested to do over the course of a week. That being the stretch series, handstands and thoracic bridge. 

I have been working through the program and  I am about halfway through Foundation One, but I am now experiencing some joint issues. Going through the forums I see many suggestions of doing stretch series and handstands series to help me with these issues.  My question is, why would these elements not have been part of Foundation One in the first place? I would rather have not gone as deep in Foundation but have had more of a balanced approach from the start. Why does foundation one not include the elements of handstand, thoracic bridge and the various stretch elements in it?  The obvious answer is to make more of a profit. I would happily have Foundation depth much shallower and had a very shallow intro to all of the elements from the get-go. My suggestion would be to include all the elements but not go as deep initially. You could have multiple steps that cover everything from ground up in all elements.  That would eliminate a lot of the confusion to a beginner who walks into this and see is that they don't have access all these different elements and discover this as a giant financial investment right from the beginning (in order to approach the journey correctly.)

Overall I feel the initial set up can be quite confusing. And I mean this in regards to how many sessions I should do per week, intensity level, and built-in rest - such as the mastery templates. I felt that after I was doing the program for a while I had to dig fairly deeply into the program content to find that I should've been doing De-load week's and should've been doing various excercise splits rather than simply working my way through upper body, lower body, core sessions. 

 My overall suggestion would be to break the whole program down to simply levels one through infinity if necessary. But include ALL the elements in each level. This would illuminate a lot of confusion and you guys would not lose the profits of your business. I don't mean that in a negative way I understand this is a business but I would imagine if people are satisfied, balanced and injury free they will continue on with the program for years. 

 Would love to hear feedback from every anyone and everyone. thank you. 

Coach Sommer

Hello Christopher,

- The stretch courses are recommended from day one.  

- They are not mandated however nor combined with F1 into a GB super course because people like to have freedom of choice.

- They have always been available at a discounted price in a bundles package along with F1.

- My recommended weekly schedule is readily available in the scheduling tab.  

- How could working out be easier and less confusing than simply pressing 'play'?

- There are no deload weeks in F1.

- Have you contacted customer service regarding your questions and concerns?  There is a customer support tab in your course for this exact reason.

- Interacting on more regular basis with the other forum members, this is only your second post, will also help you to address these issues.

Bottomline:

GB goes to a great deal of effort providing you with the finest support resources in the world (custom follow along workout videos, Coach's Corner support videos, free customer support, free video review, members only private forum); but these resources only work if you use them.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Malcolm Watters
14 hours ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hello Christopher,

- The stretch courses are recommended from day one.  

- They are not mandated however nor combined with F1 into a GB super course because people like to have freedom of choice.

- They have always been available at a discounted price in a bundles package along with F1.

- My recommended weekly schedule is readily available in the scheduling tab.  

- How could working out be easier and less confusing than simply pressing 'play'?

- There are no deload weeks in F1.

- Have you contacted customer service regarding your questions and concerns?  There is a customer support tab in your course for this exact reason.

- Interacting on more regular basis with the other forum members, this is only your second post, will also help you to, address these issues.

Bottomline:

GB goes to a great deal of effort providing you with the finest support resources in the world (custom follow along workout videos, Coach's Corner support videos, free customer support, free video review, members only private forum); but these resources only work if you use them.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

@Coach Sommer imo the biggest challenge to starting the program is just an ignorance to the concepts by me.  I have seen several people on the board that have read and studied before starting.  This is really smart, the board is a great resource. I heard your Tim Ferris podcast and then just started.  I wasn't ready to pay for everything at once without ever seeing if I liked it or it worked.  It has worked out great for me, though.  I started the stretch series a couple months into the foundations and at this point it's easy to see how much they compliment each other.  I guess what I'm trying to say with this rambling is my one suggestion to help the program would just be a clear message on the homepage about how much of a resource the forum is and maybe a recommendation to read up on other people's programs before starting or as soon as possible as you are starting the program

Robert Davis
1 hour ago, Malcolm Watters said:

@Coach Sommer imo the biggest challenge to starting the program is just an ignorance to the concepts by me.  I have seen several people on the board that have read and studied before starting.  This is really smart, the board is a great resource. I heard your Tim Ferris podcast and then just started.  I wasn't ready to pay for everything at once without ever seeing if I liked it or it worked.  It has worked out great for me, though.  I started the stretch series a couple months into the foundations and at this point it's easy to see how much they compliment each other.  I guess what I'm trying to say with this rambling is my one suggestion to help the program would just be a clear message on the homepage about how much of a resource the forum is and maybe a recommendation to read up on other people's programs before starting or as soon as possible as you are starting the program

It sounds to me like you would have benefited from going through fundamentals before jumping into foundation 1.  It is a broader, lower cost entry point which gives you a taste of what to expect with the different programs.  This is step 1 on the program overview page, step 2 is foundations and stretch series.  While listening to an exciting podcast it can be tempting to start in the middle, but then you may feel like you missed something later. 

Trevor Catterall

I don't often post but I would say to everyone start with fundamentals. I read the original DragonDoor articles way back and have been several months in to Foundation 1 a few times but stopped. I have now started Fundamentals and whilst i have personalised it based on Coach's interviews with Tim Ferris I would say it has re-invigorated my desire to train and persevere. It has more importantly made me reconsider why i train and helped me better understand how the body is built. I am no expert but I have never approached learning and training in such an engaging way.

Malcolm Watters
7 hours ago, Robert Davis said:

It sounds to me like you would have benefited from going through fundamentals before jumping into foundation 1.  It is a broader, lower cost entry point which gives you a taste of what to expect with the different programs.  This is step 1 on the program overview page, step 2 is foundations and stretch series.  While listening to an exciting podcast it can be tempting to start in the middle, but then you may feel like you missed something later. 

I actually did start with fundamentals.  I have no complaints at all.  I was really posting for the benefit of anyone new because this forum is so helpful.  

Michael Vetter

I purchased F1 + Stretch Series right from the start, two weeks later I got H1.

I feel like this is perfect for me now. The most balanced workout I ever tried. Feeling as good as seldom before.

So far I haven't found the interface or courses confusing a lot, and when I did I just asked people on the Forum. They helped immediately to make things clear.

No need to change anything if you ask me ;-)

Christopher Egan

Wow. I am very impressed with the quick and thorough response from the forum, especially from Coach Sommer himself.   Don't get me wrong I really do like the program and intend to continue on as far as I can.  I plan to buy the stretch series and begin incorporating it as soon as my nagging front groin pain subsides. I think I irritated the area doing Tuck ups in PE1 for Manna. I probably had a pre-existing weakness.  The excercise felt relatively easy but I was repeating the level over and over because I felt I need more of the mobility work that was paired with it. I kind of wish I had just moved on, although PE 2 may have irritated the groin in the same way. Anyway, I intend to avoid the area for the time being and resume after some pain free rehab and rest.