Hi Community:
I jacked my back up a month ago. Deadlifting too heavy after not doing it for a long, long time. Rookie mistake. As a result, I have had to take time off, ease up on or modify a lot of the work (particularly Core and Thoracic work) until it heals. I was doing some light Thoracic stretching today and, moving from position to position, something occurred to me. Deadlifting the way I did was definitely stupid but I wonder if I have just been generally moving incorrectly for a long time. I mean, compensating for weaknesses and imbalances, using the wrong muscle groups to do things, and basically just doing shit wrong. I have been a Crossfitter and martial artist for a long, long time, but I don't think those disciplines did anything to correct my f'ed up movement patterns. They weird thing is, my peers always looked at me as the coordinated, athletically gifted one.
If someone like me, who is very active and considers themselves pretty knowledgeable about physiology and sports and movement in general, is still making mistakes and f'ing themselves up, so many more people out there must be doing the same thing on a daily basis. I would like to do something that helps people get out of these flawed and potentially dangerous movement patterns
I've never considered a profession in medicine or physical therapy before, simply because they didn't seem to fit what I was interested in. Being a personal trainer doesn't really appeal to me either, nor does being a Crossfit coach. The last thing I want to do is work at a globo-gym, too!
I suppose physical therapy is the closest thing to what I am interested in, but I wonder if there are other, legitimate professions that deal strictly with helping people overcome poor movement patterns and regain mobility and strength. I love what Gymnastic Bodies has taught me and opened up my eyes to, in terms of what strength and mobility is. Does anyone know of any professions or courses of study that seem attractive?