This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How much time should I spend on each fundamentals workout?

Started by Matt Willey, March 10, 2017 · 5 Replies · 291 Views

Matt Willey

I just started GST and I'm in my first week of fundamentals.  I watch the video demonstrations and follow along...it's only 3 minutes of video.  is that sufficient for the day or how much time should each workout last?

Everett Carroll

Hi Matt,

Welcome to GymnasticBodies and thanks for reaching out! If you'd like to repeat the follow along portion of the lesson again feel free to do so. Don't feel obligated to do more work, however, as Fundamentals is focusing on preparing you for the later courses like Foundation One and Stretch. The workouts in the courses to follow will get much tougher so don't worry! For now, your focus is on getting used to GST and how your body responds to it.

Coach says it best here: 

Joseph F

Hi Matt, the first week is doing a great job of pointing out all of my deficiencies. Thank you. I hate you. Seriously though, would I be smart to work at each fundamental enough such that I am able to master all of the positions before I move to the next level, or is my goal, for now, to simply identify where I'm weak, trusting that all weaknesses will be addressed at the next level? Alternatively, would you prefer that I work hard at them now so that I can better handle the next level?  

Everett Carroll

Hi Joseph,

Excellent question! Your goal now, as you work through Fundamentals, is only to identify areas that need some attention. Once Fundamentals is complete, Foundation One and Stretch are your best next steps for beginning to seriously address them.

If you have more questions come up, please let us know!

Ida Elisabeth Von Achen

HI there, I just started Fundamentals as well and had the same questions that has been addressed here, but I do have one more. When I find something hard, or identify a weakness, do I keep on working on it or move on to the next workout the next day? Hope that made sense.

Jon Douglas

Keep working on weaknesses as you proceed :) you can use this over time to build a warmup of useful drills before strength training too.

No need to gain 100% perfect mobility before moving on; we will be addressing them with graduated elements from multiple angles moving into Foundation