This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Confusion regarding standing pike stretch

Started by Leigh Kettle, March 9, 2017 · 5 Replies · 189 Views

Leigh Kettle

I'd just like some clarification on a topic that I've been researching in our forums in relation to my pike/pancake  mobility and therefore future progress 

My current pike and standing pancake stretch I've pictured again below for ease,  

It seems the general advice is to get to 90 degrees bend with straight legs  maintaining apt throughout .  

Once this is achieved what is the next thing we should be trying to do. ?

Should we be continuing to get lower to the ground whilst maintaining Apt and straight legs And start to round our upper back to get lower (which I think I'll be told is wrong ) or should we never round any part of the back and just keep everything as straight as possible (likened to a folding of a piece of paper down the middle ) not forgetting at this stage I am only barely holding Apt so starting to try and fold more  I would most certainly start to lose it 

That said, is this not more about compression strength between our quads and chest (something I lack considerably ) rather than hamstring/lower back immobility, are they the same thing? I've seen advice to bend the legs slightly if we struggle with maintaining apt as we fold  .What will this  help us achieve and at what stage would we know when to start straightening them again as bent legs are  not what coach instructs in his teachings 

Sorry for the questions but I guess in summary I'm asking .......

Are the pike/standing pancake stretch the same as compression strength, is it one and the same or are we striving for both . Should The seated pike leg raise drill that Ive seen on gymnastic bodies Instagram page  that I believe specifically works compression and ab strength also be used as an aid to achieving the correct full rom pike and pancake stretch . 

hope ive made sense and sorry if there are too many questions 

trouble is as you go deeper into the courses and research through the forums I find myself having more and more questions so forgive me. 

Kindest regards 

Leigh 

 

IMG_3359.PNG

IMG_3360.PNG

Johan Tideland

Thanks for writing this Leight, I am in basically the same situation as you and would love to know this as well.

Jennifer Rodriguez

Are you stretching in jeans?  I just had to laugh at that.    Carry on...

Leigh Kettle
6 hours ago, Jennifer Rodriguez said:

Are you stretching in jeans?  I just had to laugh at that.    Carry on...

Ha ha ha ... no this was only for a quick pic . Stretching is hard enough for me let alone making it even more so ha ha 

Alessandro Mainente

THe process it is never ending, in ideal conditions you should try to hold always the APT, for the pike variation you tends to have limitation due to body muscles and here it is fine to lose a bit the APT. Opposed to that on the pancake always aim for APT since you risk to pinch the sciatic nerve. the standing pancake requires for sure more posterior chain mobility especially the glutes and the long head hamstring.

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Hey Alessandro,

you risk to pinch sciatic on pancake since you are able to go deeper than with legs together?