This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stretch: Front Split - Narrow Hurdler Tipping to Side

Started by Kirk Eisele, March 9, 2017 · 6 Replies · 145 Views

Kirk Eisele

When I attempt to sit in a narrow hurdler position during the front stretch series I tip so far to the side that I must use one hand extended outward to prevent tipping over. I am unable to use both hands to hold a strap around the foot as a result.

1) Is that normal for people starting out with poor flexibility?

2) Is there a modification I should use to build the ability to sit upright?

Thanks!

Korak

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Kirk it reflects tight addutor for sure. perform the stretch on a bench.

Kirk Eisele

Hi Alessandro thanks for the response. Not sure how adapt that stretch to a bench. Do you have an example of what you mean?

Everett Carroll

Hi Kirk,

Sitting on an elevated surface will definitely help you. Check out the technique tip video from your course library for a visual of the modification. 

Kirk Eisele
1 hour ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hi Kirk,

Sitting on an elevated surface will definitely help you. Check out the technique tip video from your course library for a visual of the modification. 

Got it. Will check it out. Sounds like i just sit on a block for now.

Nathan Wertman
On 3/10/2017 at 10:05 AM, Everett Carroll said:

Hi Kirk,

Sitting on an elevated surface will definitely help you. Check out the technique tip video from your course library for a visual of the modification. 

Everett,

I'm having the same problem as Kirk.  For the life of me, I can't get the glute from my bent leg down to the ground.  The minute I move into the position my body cants away from the bent knee badly.  I do have larger thighs and calfs (as well as a larger mid section).  

When I'm in the position, my abductor doesn't have much tension on it.  It almost feels like the connective tissue in my knee needs to open up more to allow shin to settle beside the quads.  Sitting on a bench or a block does seem to help, but I don't know that it is actually addressing the underlying cause of the issues instead it seems to just avoid them.

Any other suggestions?

Darin Phoenix

The idea is to sit on something elevated and over time to slowly lower the height until you reach floor level. This should allow your body to make the necessary adjustments to get you into the correct position. 

You could also submit a video either here on the forums or privately through your course so a coach can have a closer look at your individual difficulties.