This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Back Spasm in Twisting Arch Up

Started by Matt Robinson, March 9, 2017 · 6 Replies · 161 Views

Matt Robinson

I'm having issues with twisting arch up. I get a very tight back from doing them. I've been doing them consistently for months now and got to the point where I've dropped them out of the last two weeks due to tight back the next day.
I did get similar issues with arch ups, but thought if I continued through the progressions I would develop some stamina for these movements.
Erectors on both sides become very jacked up and whilst I'm able to finish F1 afterwards and train the next day, I am in a lot of discomfort.

One of my gym members who has started following GB does them with no similar issues, so I'm starting to wonder if it's just me?

Any advice? I'm contemplating starting back at over arches etc.

Coach Sommer

Hello Matt,

My first suspicion is a mobility deficit and that your lower back/glutes/hamstrings are extremely tight.  Accurate?

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Matt Robinson
2 minutes ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hello Matt,

My first suspicion is a mobility deficit and that your lower back/glutes/hamstrings are extremely tight.  Accurate?

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thank you for the reply Coach:

Accurate yes. I have pretty good hamstring mobility. In a jefferson I can lower fists to about 2 inches past my feet, but I struggle with getting chest to thighs, which appears to be tight lumbar in flexion. I have been doing jeffersons twice a week religiously for the past 6 months and things are improving. My thoracic has improved a lot, but lower back still stiff.

Should I drop back down the progressions and focus on mobility before I go back to arch ups etc?

Robbo

Coach Sommer
21 minutes ago, Matt Robinson said:


... Should I drop back down the progressions and focus on mobility before I go back to arch ups etc? ...

Absolutely.

I would also recommend adding the Front Split and Thoracic Bridge courses to your training.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Matt Robinson

will do. Thank you

Randeep Walia

One thing I would add: really focusing on a strong contraction of the glutes when doing this movement helped me a lot.

Matt Robinson
6 hours ago, Randeep Walia said:

One thing I would add: really focusing on a strong contraction of the glutes when doing this movement helped me a lot.

Cheers Randeep. I'm going to drop back to over arches and work on my lower back mobility. When I get back to them, I'll bare that in mind