Hi everyone this my 1st post so I apologise if its incorrect.. I've been training GST F1 & stretch series for 8 months & love it. However I also do some strength training after my F1 workouts squats, deadlifts and other exercises to try & keep some size. I am making progress but my question is can my other training slow down my progression in F1. Any advice would be great
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Foundation progress
Started by JOHN Dent, March 8, 2017 · 3 Replies · 265 Views
Hi John,
If your number one priority is to progress through Foundation then the simple answer to that question is that yes it is entirely possible that your other training could be slowing down your progress in F1.
The S.A.I.D principle of training states that your body will make Specifi Adaptaions to Imposed Demands. The physiological and neurological adaptations that your body makes are specific to the ranges and planes of motion of the exercises you are training. A real world example would be having an extremely strong Bench Press dosen't automatically transfer to you the ability to do Planche Pushups.
If you add to this the fact that everybody has a limited recover capacity, then spending some of that limited recovery capacity on exercises that are not specific to your goals is counter productive. You mentioned in your post that one of your goals is to try and keep some size, if this is the case then cerrtainly adding the exercises that you mentioned can help you achieve that. Remmeber though that one of the main determining factors in bodyweight training is your realative strength. That is your strength to weight ratio. Being bigger, particularly in the lower body is not always advanatageous particularly with some of the higher level skills like planche and hollow back press.
Basically you need to determine what your goals are. There is nothing wrong with blending Foundation and weight training together as long as it aligns with your physique goals. If however your goals are to progress through Foundation as quickly as your body will allow you then the above principles dictate that it should be your sole focus.
Thanks Darin. I think I'm going to have to lose my ego for a while.
Great discussion John and Darin.
My goal is to atleast make all of the "work-capacity"(15rep with minimal rest) exercises before I go for strength in My Other Sports again. From My understanding in f2 or f3 youre building more strength
and not so much work cap anymore? From there I like it better to add some Other strength work in if energy levels Agrees.
However Id really like to add some cardio into the mix, doesnt need to be more than 1-2x 20min per week, is this a terrible Idea if My main goal is to improve mobility? Suggestions how to implement that would be appreciated