This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Help with negative hanging leg lift

Started by Jay Dicharry, March 6, 2017 · 1 Replies · 122 Views

Jay Dicharry

PE6 Negative Hanging Leg Lift Help

Hi all - So I'm a bit stuck here on the Negative hanging leg lift - even just getting in the start position. I can perform the isometric leg hang that came before this without issue. But on this progression, I find that I'm using my lats to pull my legs up if I grab the offset top bar on my stall bars (yes, I know this allows the lats to assist more here). And I can keep "cheating" this position and use my lats to lower down (which is obviously not the point). And if I try to relax the lats and target my core as I'm supposed to, the transition from lats dominant movement to core dominant isn't pretty - my lower body tends to jerk down quickly. 

So then I tried to use the 2nd to the top rung of the stall bars (that is not offset) to minimize the lat contribution....well....I can't get my feet any higher than my head when I lift them up. Otherwise, If I try to get them up at all costs, I feel like my lats are trying to kick in again and doing all the work.

I know I'm super lat dominant and not weak there (former swimmer) - that's not my issue. My issue is trying to shut them off and get in the right position. I feel like all the progressions so far have been incremental, and easy to jump form one to the other. But this one is a roadblock for me.  Any tips here to get in the right position?

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Jay, in order to give the correct suggestion i encourage you to post a video of your execution from a side view.