This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Upper body strength progress stalled

Started by Robert Stalbow, March 6, 2017 · 13 Replies · 444 Views

Robert Stalbow

Hi there,

I am doing F1 and the 3 stretch series per week, and my progress on all three elements of Upper Body has been stuck for about 6 weeks at the same step (mobility is all fine, it's the strength that has stalled). I train handstands on other days but not using gymnastic bodies. Currently at: 

HBP PE2 step 7

RC PE1 step 7

sPL PE1 step 6

When grading each step after completion, if the last few reps feel hard, then i just rate it Fine. 

For warm up, I just do some shoulder arc motions, and some scapular dislocations.

Is this a case of "wait for the connective tissue to build" or is there something in my preparation that i could change or add?

thanks for your help. 

 

 

 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Robert first of all I would like to see the form of your executions, the first suggestion from my pov it is to add another set at the ened of your last working set.

Robert Stalbow

Hi Alessandro, thanks for responding so quickly. All three videos were my third set. Please can you form check. 

Also, when you say add another set to my last working set, should I do this even if the last few reps of the final set are hard? In other words, if 4 sets are called for, do a fifth even if to complete fatigue?

Thanks,

Rob

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Robert exercises need to be refined first:

-in the rowing exercise the grip must end in a supinated position. now you are finishing in a neutral grip.

-in the pushup the hips are piked. in fact if in the beginning position the body it is diagonal I suspect that the first part which reach the floor are the knees then the hips then the shoulders. in your execution the hips never reach the floor.

before adding another set, you need to fix the form.

 

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Hi Alessandro,

I would like to note that both follow along video and technique tip video show RC PE2 ending in a neutral grip position.

please confirm thats still applicable.

thanks,

Feli

Everett Carroll

Hi Feli,

For RC/PE2, you can use the grip shown in the follow along and technique tip videos. 

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Thanks Everett!

Robert Stalbow

Thanks Alessandro, 

i will correct the form, add another set for each, and hopefully march on!

Can I just ask, when I choose my Upper Body or Core for the day (which each have 3 paired exercises), does it matter in which order I do  the 3 exercises?

And what is a reasonable time for recovery between each of the 3 exercises? 

Thanks, 

Rob

Alessandro Mainente

IN between session i prefer 2 days, when you choose the upper body work I'm used to do planche, RC and then HBP. but it is very personal.

Robert Stalbow

Hi Alessandro, 

I didn't explain the recovery question very well. I meant when doing an Upper Body session, what should be the period of rest between the planche, RC and HBP exercises? Maybe 1 min? Or do you just go straight from one to the next?

Darin Phoenix

Hi Robert, 

A short rest period between Planche, RC, HBP is fine. 1 - 2 Mins should be sufficient. You want to keep your intensity levels high and challenge your work capacity.

Robert Stalbow

Thanks Darin, that's great. 

Greg White

Some good advice from Everett Carol about keeping the body line straight during push ups. Thinking about pushing the hips towards the floor helps.  See page 2 

Robert Stalbow

Thanks Greg, that's fixed it.