This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tempo, training and progress

Started by Guido Franchetti, March 5, 2017 · 5 Replies · 234 Views

Guido Franchetti

I was wondering how people approach foundation training, especially with regard to tempo and progress within a PE, and what is the most efficient way.

I make a strict point not to progress to the next PE unless
1) I can perform it at the tempo shown in the follow along videos
2) my form for both the PE and iM has been approved by one of the coaches.

However, in getting there I am not as strict: I often train without following the videos, and progress from step to step within the same PE even if my tempo is still slower than the one shown in the video. Usually the reason is that I improve technique and volume concurrently. I stay at low reps (step 1-4) until my form is decent/I have roughly understood what is the correct movement, but I do not wait until I can perform one step a mastery level and tempo before progressing to the next one.

Part of the reason is psychological: I feel I am working sooner at a higher volume. I'd like to stress again that I try not to increase volume with bad form, but once the form is decent to bring it to mastery level while increasing the volume at the same time, rather than first establish mastery level technique/tempo and only then increase volume.

I feel that my approach is more realistic and maybe faster, but I may very well be wrong. Is there anyone who really does not progress from step to step unless both tempo and technique for that step are at mastery level? Would that be a better approach?

Everett Carroll
On 3/5/2017 at 3:14 AM, Guido Franchetti said:

Is there anyone who really does not progress from step to step unless both tempo and technique for that step are at mastery level? Would that be a better approach?

 

I think this is a better approach and recommend you always use the follow along videos. Of course, your ROM for the iM may need to gradually improve as you progress the steps. Your PE, however, is best trained at the appropriate tempo from the start.

Get your form checks in as soon as possible (I know you are always on top of those) and train through the steps with proper execution for both PE and iM. You will no doubt get the most out of your time on each progression if you strive for perfection from step 1. 

Antonio Alías Montoya

I follow this approach while working in a progression:

1. No rest between sets and between PE and mobility, just the seconds from going from one to the other.

2. Follow along tempo for the PE, but specially not faster than in the follow along. I think this is the most important. If you do it slower will be simply harder.

3. I take the time I need for the mobility specially in those ones that needs even more refinement (stiff leg windmills or swivel hips) than the PE.

I don t workout with the follow along but I ve checked the speed. I can t perform some of the mobility so fast until it gets better, I d hurt myself or I d do it wrong.

Guido Franchetti

Thanks Everett and Antonio!

I do not take rest in between iM and PE, and surely I do not go faster than the follow along video, usually I have the opposite problem: until I feel the technique is ok I need to slow down and focus on the correct movement, which results in a slower tempo.

Good point about the iM Antonio: for some the follow along tempo is really hard to follow at first.

Anyway, in the future I will try to spend more time on the first steps so to get the technique and tempo right from the beginning, maybe supplementing with some sets of the previous PE as long as the volume of the current one is low.

Antonio Alías Montoya
38 minutes ago, Guido Franchetti said:

Thanks Everett and Antonio!

I do not take rest in between iM and PE, and surely I do not go faster than the follow along video, usually I have the opposite problem: until I feel the technique is ok I need to slow down and focus on the correct movement, which results in a slower tempo.

Good point about the iM Antonio: for some the follow along tempo is really hard to follow at first.

Anyway, in the future I will try to spend more time on the first steps so to get the technique and tempo right from the beginning, maybe supplementing with some sets of the previous PE as long as the volume of the current one is low.

I also go slower when the technique is not part of me yet. Going slower make me more consciuoss and aware of my body so that I can  align it. I think that s a neccesary step, better than do it fast and bad.

Guido Franchetti
On 3/9/2017 at 9:35 PM, Antonio Alías Montoya said:

I also go slower when the technique is not part of me yet. Going slower make me more consciuoss and aware of my body so that I can  align it. I think that s a neccesary step, better than do it fast and bad.

I agree, I was not meaning to rush the execution ignoring technique, but I  will try getting both technique and tempo to mastery standard before progressing beyond let's say step 3, instead of increasing the volume with ok technique and slower tempo as the correct technique is not yet fully ingrained.