This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE12 (L-sit Russian Dip)

Started by Petri Widsten, March 4, 2017 · 18 Replies · 205 Views

Petri Widsten

I'm trying to move from regular to L-sit Russian dips and I have been training single reps of them after my sets of regular Russians. Unfortunately my L tilts forward as I press up from the bottom of the dip. Is the reason a lack of pressing strength from the upper arm support that prevents me from achieving a better starting position for the dip, do I lack pike compression strength, or what might be the reason? What can I do to improve?

 

 

Jon Douglas

Hi mate,

Video is an awkward angle; sorry to not help but could you reshoot it closer please?

Initially, it looks like a drop into upper arm support and the kip coming back up is a little pronounced, but it'd be much easier to see from the side and closer :)

Petri Widsten

Cheers mate. I'll get a side view if it helps.

Petri Widsten

Side view provided

 

Alessandro Mainente

hei Petri:

-at the beginning of the 3 seconds mark you can clearly see the upper arm support

-at the end of the 3 seconds mark you can see how you let the shoulder to drop down for a moment and then you pull down with upper arm to make the movement easier. this post it is an error. no additional momentum should be added.

Petri Widsten

Fair enough, Alessandro, but how to prevent the L from tilting downwards as I come up?

Alessandro Mainente

it is a technical problem, I can suggest to build up the variation gradually with a bent L-sit-

Petri Widsten
1 minute ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

it is a technical problem, I can suggest to build up the variation gradually with a bent L-sit-

Do you mean start with upper and lower legs at 90 deg then gradually increase the angle to 180 deg?

Alessandro Mainente

Nope, simply bend the knees to 90° but with upper leg still parallel to the floor.

Petri Widsten
7 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Nope, simply bend the knees to 90° but with upper leg still parallel to the floor.

Thank you, Alessandro. I'll see if that'll fix the problem.

Petri Widsten

Some progress but not there yet, @Alessandro Mainente. The assistance exercises I'm doing are regular and bent-knee Russian Dips, PB dips w. 40 kg and PB L-sits (20s). I suspect I lack strength in some part of the L-dip, which in turn causes the technique to be off, so I'm trying to isolate the components and train them individually. Is this a good idea or should I just do more reps of the element itself?

 

Alessandro Mainente

Second one much more better, still exists some momentum but definitely less compared to the first rep.

Petri Widsten
7 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Second one much more better, still exists some momentum but definitely less compared to the first rep.

I'll focus more on eliminating momentum when the tilting is no longer a problem. Thanks Alessandro! 

Petri Widsten
On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 10:22 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Second one much more better, still exists some momentum but definitely less compared to the first rep.

I've reduced the tilting during the dip part. How is this compared to the previous form?

 

Alessandro Mainente

Definitely better, the more you hold the upper body vertical the less the legs will drop under the horizontal line.

Petri Widsten

Thanks,  good to know I'm on track. 

Petri Widsten
On 04/05/2017 at 6:36 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Definitely better, the more you hold the upper body vertical the less the legs will drop under the horizontal line.

A slight improvement, imo at least, but is this already good enough form or shall I continue to train single reps? If not, and the issue is 'not horizontal enough', how far am I from what is required? I have developed an aversion to training sets until I can do at least one rep with mastery form.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Try to make the rep easier by doing the ascent part immediately after the descent without stopping. at the beginning some stretch reflex could help.

Petri Widsten
34 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Try to make the rep easier by doing the ascent part immediately after the descent without stopping. at the beginning some stretch reflex could help.

Usually I stop between reps to avoid the stretch reflex but I can try that. Anything in my form that needs improvement?