Here is my updated tuck up form after hopefully developing from my first tuck up form post some time ago , With your advice on board
many thanks
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Leigh Kettle, March 4, 2017 · 25 Replies · 288 Views
Here is my updated tuck up form after hopefully developing from my first tuck up form post some time ago , With your advice on board
many thanks
I think the coaches will suggest that you arch too much when you are fully extended on the floor. It looks kind of cool in a way, like a snake :-) But I suspect not acceptable for the GST standards…
1 hour ago, Suzanna McGee said:I think the coaches will suggest that you arch too much when you are fully extended on the floor. It looks kind of cool in a way, like a snake :-) But I suspect not acceptable for the GST standards…
Hi Suzanna
my lack of shoulder flexion seems to me to be the reason this happens as it's the only way I can get my hands to reach the floor to finish the rep . Would it be better to just come as low as my flexion allows then? Would this lack of flexion be considered a fail in terms of mastery of this particular exercise ?
Many thanks
leigh
@Leigh Kettle, I am not a coach, so maybe wait until what they say. But I think it is more important to have the lower back down (a nice PPT). And the flexion will improve with time as you do your HS and TBS ![]()
Hello Leigh,
Great progress so far. I have not seen your first video so I can't draw a comparison.
What I would like to see in your current form is you try to get your knees all the way to your chest and not touch the floor in any single rep in the tuck position.
Once again great job and keep up the good work.
I would also like you not to arch in the bottom position but rather think of finish in a hollow body like posterior pelvic tilt.
8 hours ago, Luke Searra said:Hello Leigh,
Great progress so far. I have not seen your first video so I can't draw a comparison.
What I would like to see in your current form is you try to get your knees all the way to your chest and not touch the floor in any single rep in the tuck position.
Once again great job and keep up the good work.
Thanks Luke for your advice
in my first form check the sitting taller and knees to chest were criticisms given to me . I really struggle getting my knees to chest even in a static hold I have to force them with my hands but watching back in my first post I've Def improved here ..
taking all of the comments in to consideration I feel i need to go back and start this whole exercise from step one implementing all of the above advice
the only thing I want to add is I'm sure I've read and even been told in a seminar I attended that you should always touch the floor at the bottom of the rep as starting from here is the hardest part of the rep. To clarify are you saying I shouldn't touch the floor either with hands or feet the whole entire set ???
many thanks
Leigh
9 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:@Leigh Kettle, I am not a coach, so maybe wait until what they say. But I think it is more important to have the lower back down (a nice PPT). And the flexion will improve with time as you do your HS and TBS
Thanks Suzanna . I have just asked Luke one of the coaches a question regarding this as neither my feet or hands would touch the ground if I were to implement this, but totally agree with what your saying . Be interesting to Hear what he says certainly in terms of whether not touching the floor at all would count as mastery
@Luke Searra
Or anyone else could you please clarify the above for me
this in mind i managed to do a quick video of how i think I shoudbe preforming them from what you've said . Any better?
thanks in advance
Hi Leigh,
Sorry for the wait. I believe what Luke means is do not touch the ground with your hands or feet in the TUCK position, not when you are extended. Your hands and feet should come all the way down when you extend back out.
As for PPT, you did a better job in this video of keeping your lower back down on the ground. Keep that up while also making sure you're letting your hands and feet contact the floor each time. As stated above, your shoulder flexion will improve over time. Eventually, your hands will contact the floor while you maintain PPT.
1 hour ago, Everett Carroll said:Hi Leigh,
Sorry for the wait. I believe what Luke means is do not touch the ground with your hands or feet in the TUCK position, not when you are extended. Your hands and feet should come all the way down when you extend back out.
As for PPT, you did a better job in this video of keeping your lower back down on the ground. Keep that up while also making sure you're letting your hands and feet contact the floor each time. As stated above, your shoulder flexion will improve over time. Eventually, your hands will contact the floor while you maintain PPT.
@Everett Carroll
Thanks for the clarity Everett yes I get what Luke means now (however in the follow along Orench touches the floor in the tuck which is maybe why I thought this was acceptable .....)
like I say there is no way with my current flexibility that I could maintain ppt at the bottom if I was to allow my feet and hands to touch the ground.... I would most certainly arch as I did before . . Surely everyone with bad shoulder flexion as mine would be doing the same no?
Leigh
5 hours ago, Leigh Kettle said:like I say there is no way with my current flexibility that I could maintain ppt at the bottom if I was to allow my feet and hands to touch the ground.... I would most certainly arch as I did before . . Surely everyone with bad shoulder flexion as mine would be doing the same no?
Just do your best to fight for that PPT, and work on that shoulder flexion. I was not able to do this when I started either (I also had super tight hip-flexors) and now I can. I am amazed how much my shoulders got looser. Stay on it, it will happen!
5 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:Just do your best to fight for that PPT, and work on that shoulder flexion. I was not able to do this when I started either (I also had super tight hip-flexors) and now I can. I am amazed how much my shoulders got looser. Stay on it, it will happen!
Thanks Suzanna will do
what a leveller this programme really is.... tuck ups that are a pe1 I've no where near mastered after starting foundation October last year. phew
Leigh
17 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:Hi Leigh,
Sorry for the wait. I believe what Luke means is do not touch the ground with your hands or feet in the TUCK position, not when you are extended. Your hands and feet should come all the way down when you extend back out.
As for PPT, you did a better job in this video of keeping your lower back down on the ground. Keep that up while also making sure you're letting your hands and feet contact the floor each time. As stated above, your shoulder flexion will improve over time. Eventually, your hands will contact the floor while you maintain PPT.
I'm pretty sure @Alessandro Mainente has previously given advice that it is fine to lightly touch the ground with finger tips in the tuck position. One of the reasons for this is that it is required in the next PE to touch the floor. I'll try to find and link the post.
From memory Alex also said it was acceptable to have the upper thighs to touch the stomach, rather than knees to the chest?
Alex can you confirm or deny?
Thanks
Before adding more details I prefer to judge a video execution.
@Suzanna McGee @Alessandro Mainente
So tonight I recorded this after my session
this is me trying my hardest to keep ppt and yet still touch the floor at the bottom of the rep hope this is more like a better starting point (and to think I was up to 5x15 albeit with the horrible arch - lesson learned
will keep trying harder, try to get my quads to my chest more and also working on my shoulder flexion and tight hip flexors. So pleased I'm now working all 3 stretch series I badly need it !
@Leigh Kettle What a HUGE difference!!!! Like two different people. Good job!
7 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:@Leigh Kettle What a HUGE difference!!!! Like two different people. Good job!
Thanks suzanna
a starting point at least. Damn inflexibility :-(
all the best
Leigh
Feet should touch the floor every reps and also the upper arm. you can relax and let the lower back to arch. it is primarily a hips flexor work.
2 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:Feet should touch the floor every reps and also the upper arm. you can relax and let the lower back to arch. it is primarily a hips flexor work.
Nooooooo..... Just when I thought I was getting somewhere with this exercise , this has now thrown me all over
Alex there is no way my upper arm and feet could touch the floor with my current shoulder flexion . Unless i arch very largely as in my first video post on this thread which was terrible to watch admittedly
So are you in fact saying ppt doesn't matter at the bottom of this move and actually my first video was acceptable ??
It would make sense as I never would have believed we would all need to have 180 deg shoulder flexion to be able to master this exercise
leigh
@Suzanna McGee interesting ....
4 hours ago, Leigh Kettle said:Alex there is no way my upper arm and feet could touch the floor with my current shoulder flexion . Unless i arch very largely as in my first video post on this thread which was terrible to watch admittedly
So are you in fact saying ppt doesn't matter at the bottom of this move and actually my first video was acceptable ??
It would make sense as I never would have believed we would all need to have 180 deg shoulder flexion to be able to master this exercise
Leigh,
Just some insight, but the compensation from poor shoulder flexion doesnt have to come from only the lumbar spine, it can come from your thoracic as well. Look at your chest in the video below. Notice how it rises and falls each time you reach over head, while your lower back is glued to the floor? Point I am getting at is that you dont necessarily have to fully compromise you posterior pelvic tilt in order to get your hand to the ground, by allowing more thoracic arch with a combo of small lumbar extension you can get hands closer to ground.
Just a thought, and I will say there seems to be a lot of contradicting information on this thread, even I am a bit confused on what is optimal PPT in this exercise.
another question to consider is which is more important for this exercise? In my opinion I would say strong PPT because the exercises goal is developing core compression and endurance. whether your hands touch the floor should be secondary in term of importance, and is obviously somewhat unrealistic of an expectation for your situation. Fixing that shoulder flexion is going to take time, and as long as your working to correct it I wouldnt overly stress about it for this particular exercise as it will get better with time. Just my thoughts would love to here some other people input on this.
9 minutes ago, Ryan Segervall said:spine, it can come from your thoracic as well.
Hey Ryan thanks for your insight and you make some great points
However my thoracic is also an area of concern as it is extremely flat with very little mobility .Another area I'm aiming to correct. (Jeez who knew I was so broken as an athlete lol ) But like you rightly state this is all going to take time . Does this mean I can't master this pe1 until all this is corrected. ? I don't know for sure but I'm certain everyone that has "mastered" this pe hasn't got full shoulder flexion Rom and great thoracic range . Maybe I'm wrong
like you say I'm more confused as ever with this exercise right now :-(
Until feet are still in the air in the vast majority of the reps I would not consider the exercise mastered.
THe points your need to hold are:
-feet on floor at the beginning on every reps
-hands on floor on every reps
-compress as much as you can
-relax in between reps for 2 sec
-coordination between upper and lower body.
9 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:Until feet are still in the air in the vast majority of the reps I would not consider the exercise mastered.
THe points your need to hold are:
-feet on floor at the beginning on every reps
-hands on floor on every reps
-compress as much as you can
-relax in between reps for 2 sec
-coordination between upper and lower body.
Thanks for this alex
until feet are in the air for majority of reps ? So you saying here that my feet must not touch ground every rep top or bottom ??
You say hands on floor which I did in last video but you critiqued me earlier in the thread saying upper arms must be on floor ?
What about ppt throughout or is arch acceptable ?
Thanks Alex
leigh
Arch it is acceptable since hips flexor work together, hands on floor it is ok.