This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulder Pre Hab

Started by Ryan Segervall, March 4, 2017 · 2 Replies · 160 Views

Ryan Segervall

Hello, 

 

I was reading over one of the GB blog post about bullet proofing your shoulders and was wondering what is recommended on how to go about incorporating some of these exercises. 

1) Should Prehab be done at the beginning, end, or on a separate day as your Strength Training days. Main concern is for the strength training days to start to get excessively long, for example following F7 my training days already last around 90minutes + 20 min. Adding in more volume could easily push my sessions into the two hour range which is tough to fit into my schedule, not to mention make it through without becoming overly fatigued.  

my current schedule

Mon: F7                          Or             Mon: F7 + 1 prehab exercise                        Or               Mon: F7 

Tue: Front split                                Tue: Front Split                                                                  Tue: Front split + Shoulder Prehab

Wed: Middle Split                            Wed: Middle Split                                                              Wed: Middle Split

Thur:F7                                            Thur: F7 + 1 different prehab exercise                              Thur: F7 

Fri: rest                                            Fri: rest                                                                               Fri: rest

Sat: Shoulder prehab?                   Sat: Full Shoulder Prehab routine (3 exercises )                Sat: Shoulder Prehab

 

Just some ideas that have ran through my head. Any recommendation on what is considered optimal?

 

2) Recommended Volume for these pre hab exercises? For shoulder dislocates, hanging scap depression/retraction, and hinge rows/external rotation variant. My guess is something around 2-3 sets of 10-20 reps, but this could vary depending on the exercise and day of training. On training days I would assume a much lower Volume of 1-2sets x 10 reps per exercise. Any recommendations on optimal volume for the following exercises

- Hinge row

- Hanging Scap Pull

- Shoulder Dislocates 

 

3) When are athletes deemed ready for these exercises? I know hinge row is PE5 in the RC progressions, so obviously this is out of the question for me being on PE1 in RC. What about hanging scap pulls and dislocates, what are some good markers that will indicated  that the athlete has enough physical preparation under their belt to begin incorporating these into their routine? Are there regressions of these for some of these exercises that you would recommend for a beginner GST athlete? 

 

my thoughts on some regressions

Hinge row ---> Cable Face Pull

hangning Scap Pulls ----> Assisted with a band 

 

A always I appreciate any advice/recommendations 

 

Cheers :)

- Ryan 

 

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Ryan,

Sorry for the wait. 

1) I suggest adding them to the end of your Foundation workouts if you have the time. 

2) Keep it light. If you are consistent with it then 1-3 sets of each will be just fine. The number of repetitions depends on your abilities. Gauge the intensity and don't allow it to go above a 4 out of 10. Your HBP iM's are already doing a ton for your shoulder prehab. 

3) Handstand One will safely build you to dislocates so I suggest that course for building to those. There are a number of prerequisites for dislocates in that course. You can practice hinge rows by performing them with your butt still on the ground. Just moving through that range will be good prehab. I like your idea for band assisted scap pulls. Another option could be to perform the hanging scap pulls with your feet on a box under the bar. Take as much weight off of your shoulders as you need to inorder to keep the intensity down. 

Ryan Segervall

@Everett Carroll

 

Thanks for getting back! I'll try adding the scap pulls and hinge row modification as a circuit at the end of my session. 

I will start with 2 rounds leaving roughly 5 reps in the tank at the end of each set, to make sure that intensity is around a 4-5/10 as you suggested. 

 

And currently saving up for Handstand 1. Planning on purchasing that hopefully by next month so I can begin chipping away. I will hold off on dislocations for now.