This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hip taps (or touches?)

Started by Chris Umiastowski, March 4, 2017 · 5 Replies · 172 Views

Chris Umiastowski

I did my first thoracic bridge workout today. Incredibly challenging. The very last movement is hip taps where you use an elevated bridge with legs further apart and you lift each hand to touch your hip/quad one at a time. 

 

The explanation video doesn't even address people who can't do this. What's the scaling process? I can easily get into the bridge and I can do the push-ups that come before it. But I can't lift my hands. I feel like I'll collapse if I do. Safety first. 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Chris Umiastowski, 

There is really no scaled down movement for the thoracic bridge hip taps. (closest I can think of is hip taps on crab position) If you are not able to do it then you can skip it until you get the strength enough to be able to do it. All the other courses work symbiotically. If you are training Foundations and Handstand One then this exercise will no problem strength wise. I hope this helps.

Suzanna McGee

For me, when I was not able to do the hip taps, I was just transferring the weight onto one arm. Feeling how I need to push to the ground to not collapse, etc. Then next time I lifted my other hand just a little bit. Then (next time) I touched my chest. Then I touched my hips. 

Chris Umiastowski

This is helpful!  Thanks. I'll try Suzanna's approach.  It's a really strange feeling to NOT be able to do this. I thought I was pretty strong, but I obviously also need growth in balance and flexibility to do this movement.  I have now been able to practise lifting my hands a few inches, so I'll just continue until I can confidently do these.

Bill Marr

Hey Chris -- I'm with you on this one. I get the sensation of crumbling to the floor and snapping my neck to even attempt to take a hand off the ground. I'm going to start with the progressions that Suzanna has suggested. Makes sense. Hope we're both tapping away in another month or two!

Chris Umiastowski

I'm about 4 workouts into this program now (so one month), and I still can't really lift my hands for hip taps, but I have learned how to shift my weight side to side and take the load off of the hand that's supposed to lift.  I've been able to lift it up a couple inches briefly. I guess that's progress!  This is one hell of a workout.  Enjoying it.