This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Frequency and loading of Jefferson Curl

Started by Kristiyan Donchev, March 3, 2017 · 5 Replies · 239 Views

Kristiyan Donchev

Hi guys, straight to my question - how often should I Jefferson Curl? I'm currently doing them fairly evenly spaced out twice a week.
Today for example I did the JC for 3x5x22,5kg (30% of BW). Currently I increase weight by 2,5kg after I've done two workouts with 5x5 with the previous weight. Should I increase volume more before increasing intensity? 

I'm relatively strong and mobile - I can touch my palms on the floor with locked knees and I can conventional deadlift 2xBW. I also can probably JC comfortably with 35-40kg, but I don't want to rush the process.

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Kristiyan, if  you can perform 2BW probably your spine it is well conditioned, the problem it is that in the regular deadlift the spine it is held on a isometric hold while in the JC its rom it is explored totally.  if you can do a 5x5 with X weight I suggest to add 2.5 kg and hold it for 2-3 weeks.

Chris Umiastowski

This is good feedback! Thanks, Alessandro.  Before I bought the stretch series (just this week) I was doing J-curls almost every workout using light weights because coach said they're a staple to do all the time on the Tim Ferriss podcast.  But now I won't have time to do them every workout, so I'll follow this advice.  

I'm currently doing 5 x 5 with 40 lbs (18kg) with no trouble, that's 24% of my body weight.  I will aim to raise that every few weeks as you suggested.  Thanks for starting this thread, Kristiyan.

Kristiyan Donchev

I could have explained better - after I've done 5x5, I decrease the volume to 1x5x+2,5kg heavier than previous weight and increase 1 set at a time. So it looks like this:
4x5x22,5 - 5x5x22,5 - 5x5x22,5 - 1x5x25 - 2x5x25 and so on. 
So If I Jefferson Curl twice a week, on average I increase the weight with 2,5kg every four weeks. I'll also "autoregulate", so if I'm not feeling comfortable with increasing the weight I might stay on 5x5 for more time. 

Another question - when and how should I deload? Should I do it like my weightlifting deloads - every 4th or 5th week with 30-40% volume and 80-90% intensity of previous week?
 

Pauline Taube

Hi Kristiyan, 

2,5kg is a good weight to increase with every fourth week. 

Deload weeks will be automatically programmed in once you have progressed to Foundation Two exercises in 3 or more categories. For now, as most of your progressions are still in F1, there are no deload weeks :) 

Kristiyan Donchev

Alright, thanks :)