This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP PE1

Started by Ryan Segervall, March 3, 2017 · 12 Replies · 175 Views

Ryan Segervall

- This is my first attempt at doing HBP PE:1 4x9 and was the first time ive been able to do pain free push ups in about 18 months so an exciting day :) . 

This video is just my first set. Next session I will get the whole HBP session on film. 

Reviewing my form I noticed my hips are slightly piked. I  will keep glutes tight and a strong PPT (posterior pelvic tilt) next time around to try and fix this. Any other issues with my form? 

I made sure to do a strong scap protraction at the top of the rep, but was curious if I should keep this protracted position throughout the pushup or let my shoulders blades retract as I descend. I know for bench press its all about keeping shoulder down and back, but clearly this movement isn't the bench press. any advice is appreciated. 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Ryan,

It's great to see that your elbows are getting healthier and that you are improving in your GST. Congrats!

Pretty nice job on this one so far. As you said, you are picking up some pike in the hips as you do this exercise. As you sqeze your gluts to fix this problem, also think about dropping the hips towards the floor slightly. It also looks like you can get more protraction at the top of each rep.

To answer your question, the scapula should be retracted at the bottom of your push-up.

Nice job so far!

Ryan Segervall

ah as soon as my elbows were getting better I got cocky and tried to play with the straddle planche PE 1 and pissed off my left elbow a little bit, clearly not quite ready for SPl PE's  yet . For this time around I regressed the hight of the stand so I could preform the reps without further agitating. Definitely felt a good burn in my seratus anterior as I tried to fully protract each rep, a weak point forsure. 

Let me know how the form looks. 

 

Also question on elbow positioning. I try to keep elbow pits facing straight forward the hole time, left elbow struggles with this but is getting better. Is this proper form? as opposed to letting the elbow pits face in toward one another

Ryan Segervall

- Hey so after my minor set back I and finally back training HBP PE1 and the elbows are feeling really good! This is my fourth session with this exercise and thought I would submit a form check to see if there is anything I can clean up.  

I really tried to get full protraction at the top of each rep, sometimes by hips would pike as a result but working on the mind body connection to isolate the seratus anterior  and thoracic while leaving the hips out of the equation. 

 

anyways let me know how I can improve! Thanks :) 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Ryan Segervall,

Very nice improvement. Good attitude on refining the form. Its nice that your elbows are feeling better. Keep the tempo consistent and keep up the good work.

Ryan Segervall

So i had to switch my set up as people kept getting in my way and using the smith machine I was previously using. This is on a bench that is a little lower than the smith machine but I prefer it better as I am able to really dig into it with my fingers and get some good conditioning in my wrist/finger flexors. 

However, 4x9 was damn tough today and I thought I would post a form check. I feel like im my last sets I wasnt getting nearly the optimal protraction and my shoulders/elbow pits began to drift into internal rotation near the end as opposed to being screwed into external rotation with elbow pits facing forward. 

 

my conscious tells me to try one more time on monday after some good recovery and see how it goes. If form still breaks down again then I will regress down a level.

Thoughts?  

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Ryan,

It's looking good. As you get tired you start to lose protraction like you said. You also start to pick up some pike in the hips. On your iM, keep working on getting more ROM on your swings. Your goal should be to get the elbow past your ear.

Ryan Segervall

@Jeffrey Bittner So its been a while sense I posted a form check and a while sense ive been able to do pushups on a bench. I had to switch back to using a bar for these for about 6 weeks to let my elbows heal, as using the bench puts a greater stress on them due to the finger flexor involvement. anyways this is 4x9 and thought I would see what you think of it. 

 

Definitely difficult to finish. skeptical if this really counts as a completed set, and thinking it might be a good idea to bump it down to 4x6. Thoughts?  

Jeffrey Bittner

Hey Ryan,

It looks like you're doing a nice job. You are losing a bit of PPT at the bottom of your push ups. Keep the gluts squeezed throughout the movement.

Nice work on your iM as well. Remember to squeeze your stomach to help keep your ribs pulled in.

It looks like you did a fairly good job of completing 4x9, however, if you feel you need a bit more time to build up strength, you are welcome to go back to 4x6.

Ryan Segervall

@Jeffrey Bittner

I think im gonna bump back to 4x6 for this weeks training session just to make sure I got it mastered at a lower volume and then go back to 4x9 the week after. Appreciate the feed back!

Jeffrey Bittner

That sounds like a great plan, Ryan. Keep us posted!

Leo Trinidad

Great attitude towards training Ryan. Keep us posted. :)

Ryan Segervall

this was 2 sets of 4x6. felt like my protraction was much better here and less compensation with weight shift. one quick question in terms or bench height. in the follow along video and the form video the bench they use is about hip height. this bench is a little below knee height. Should I regress to a bench that is similar height ( hip height) and test for mastery and see if I pass. If so then should I proceed to regular pushups? Or should I just hang out with this set up for now?