How to work the Subscapularis effectively?

Started by Nicolas Lukas, March 2, 2017 · 2 Replies · 2,567 Views

Nicolas Lukas

Hello everyone,

I have an imbalance between my external rotators and the Subscapularis (internal rotator). Now I work my Subscapularis in a prone position with my shoulder in slight extension and my forearms behind my back in internal rotation (like the lift-off test, but prone). I hold that position for some time (15 seconds) and will gradually add weight.

The question that arises in my mind is: Is that an effective way to work out my Subscapularis without too much deltoid, pectoralis and latissimus activation (to isolate the Subscapularis as much as possible)? 

Douglas Wadle

Hey Nicolas.  Sorry to be generally unhelpful, but that is one of the strengths of the program here.  I would get foundations and get started.  That will be a very effective program for your subscap, though most folks don't have isolated subscap issues and it's probably more generally poor movement of the scapular muscles in general, not just the rotator cuff.  It's generally going to be too complex of a topic to give you a synopsis in one post.  Good luck.

Tanya Hill

Hi @Nicolas Lukas How is your previous imbalance of external rotation coming along? Have you been training the GST Foundation courses as Douglas has recommended?