This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

FL PE2, SL PE4, MN PE2, SLS PE5

Started by Brian Michalski, March 2, 2017 · 11 Replies · 202 Views

Everett Carroll

I'm happy you decided to submit some videos, Brian! This is exactly what the forum is for :)

FL:

You did a really good job of maintaining the same hip angle throughout the rocks. Let's just adjust that angle slightly by moving your knees away from your body 1-2 inches, creating a 120-degree angle with your thighs. Tucking your knees in is a natural tendency but makes the rocks a bit easier. It is also worth checking your FL/PE1 form to ensure you mastered it in the correct position.  

SL:

Really nice job!

MN:

Overall, you had really good execution. Keep working to sit your chest up a little higher while pulling your legs in (compressing). The only other thing I noticed was some small knee bends. Keep your quads firmly engaged to ensure your knees stay 100% locked.

SLS: For the deck squat, be sure your heels remain in complete contact with the floor. You want to be able to wiggle your toes even in the deepest squat position. 

It is worth posting form checks of all progressions (PE and iM), starting with PE1 exercises. This will be especially helpful if you have been plateaued on these for some time. 

Brian Michalski

Thanks for the tips!

FL - a 90 degree angle between thigh and lower leg - check

MN - I have a hard time with compression. Is this a motility issue or lack of strength? Here's what I was doing with tuck up - I moved on because I felt like I wasn't getting any closer with compression and they were getting pretty easy. In the video I'm trying hard to compress at the top. Should I drop back to those?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtZSr8NHZ6k

SLS - Here's a video of my full squat. I'm going down as far as I think I can - I'm limited by 2 surgeries to both knees, the most recent being last May. I feel comfortable with the deck squat and would like to continue to work on refinement but would a step back here be helpful?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOJ80CWAQpA

Thanks again.

Everett Carroll

Hi Brian,

For FL/PE2, I wrote the incorrect angle. What I meant to say was move your knees further away from your body, increasing the angle at your hips. 

For MN/PE1, stay here and work on your compression more. You have the right idea from this latest video and form will improve with time. The Front and Middle Split Stretch Courses really help open your hips up for these as well. Stay here until you can complete step 9 with your thighs/knees pulled into your chest.

How long did you spend on the full squat before advancing to elevated deck squat?

Brian Michalski

Everett, thanks for the directions. The squat: I was doing speed skater squats before my last surgery. When I came back, the old progression format was still in place - deck squats as PE1. That's where I started but on a mat which over the months I lowered until I was on the floor. During that time, the PE progressions changed but I just stayed where I was. However, I've always done body-weight squats as an extra exercise at the end of my F7 along with DL.

I have periods of frustration with this program - I've been doing it for some time (years) but have seemingly made little to no progress. Consistency has not been an issue. My latest frustrations are:

RC2 - I was advised to slow down, and perform a 2 up 2 down format. I dropped from 9 reps to 6 but struggle touching hands to chest at the top end of the movement. Should I drop back to RC1?

FL2 - I made the corrections as you noted and seem to be regressing with each workout.

MN1 - My compression seems to get no better despite years of trying.

SL4 (i think) - I've hit a wall at 4x8. I was at 4x10 and can;t seem to move past 8 good reps.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Everett Carroll
1 hour ago, Brian Michalski said:

I was advised to slow down, and perform a 2 up 2 down format. I dropped from 9 reps to 6 but struggle touching hands to chest at the top end of the movement. Should I drop back to RC1?

1

Use the tempo of the follow along videos to re-assess your progress with RC/PE2.

Out of curiosity, when was the last time you took a whole week off from training, including the weighted squats and other routines you might have? These sorts of plateaus are tricky to "diagnose" over the forum.

Based on your workout history, you started back up in September of last year with FL/PE2. This leads me to think a good plan of action could be to go back in progressions and work back through the steps using the smiley faces and follow along videos. This will provide you some reduced volume for a period and allow you to refine your basics.

With this approach you will, of course, have some shorter F1 workouts at first. Would this extra time motivate/free you up to stretch more each week? Completing each series once a week, consistently, is going to work wonders on increasing your compression for MN/PE1 and long-term progress in general.

Brian Michalski

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely give it a go. Admittedly, I haven't been as consistent with the stretching courses as I should be. If time is a concern that's what's likely to go - I reason that the F1 exercises include mobility.

As for a break - I haven't missed a session in a LONG time. I can't even remember when. Even with my surgery last year I did a modified workout. There are times when I miss the deload week. The new format says we don't need it - is that still the case?

Brian Michalski

Also, by earlier progressions do you mean dropping back to FLPE1 or a different rep range?Thanks

Everett Carroll
3 hours ago, Brian Michalski said:

There are times when I miss the deload week. The new format says we don't need it - is that still the case?

Deload is automatically incorporated into your weekly workouts. Since you are still in Foundation One for all of your progressions, you will not deload. 

3 hours ago, Brian Michalski said:

Also, by earlier progressions do you mean dropping back to FLPE1 or a different rep range?Thanks

Drop back to PE1 and submit a video for review. Submitting videos for all of your progressions (PE and iM) would be even better. 

Brian Michalski

Everett, thank you for all your advice. Below are links to each PE and im. I look forward to your comments.   

FLPE1 and im

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNxZB_EPaeQ

SLPE4 and im

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cDKkdu7zCQ

MnPE1 and im
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1guWHroGN7U

SLSPE5 and im

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agQ7_w0kmSY

HBPPE2 and im

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbxQHIUoRmQ

RCPE2 and im

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2CsdO-6Ydw

SPLPE4 and im

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7bcE6WD2-4

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Brian,

-Nice job on your FL and SL work. 

-Keep working on your tuck-ups until you are able to compress more. Knees to chest each rep is your goal. 

-Can you turn your shoulder more during the windmills, twisting the weight more? Also be sure your elbow remains locked the entire time. 

-SLS is looking good.

-Nice pushup form! Keep a steady tempo and you're good there. 

-I think you're ready to go slightly heavier for your Xiaopeng forward. Also, be certain to keep the weight traveling in a straight line with your shoulder the entire time. 

-Focus on preventing your ribs from flaring out during the rows. Keep a strong core and posterior pelvic tilt. 

-Try keeping your feet forward during the RC>iM. Keep strong backward pressure as you lean to the sides. Some additional angles will be helpful for this one. 

-A side angle for your single arm plank will help us better check your shape. 

Keep your knees locked on the single leg extensions. 

Brian Michalski

Many thanks!