This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Standing Achilles on Block height of block

Started by Michael Vetter, March 2, 2017 · 11 Replies · 173 Views

Michael Vetter

Hi,

I wondered how to choose the height of the "block" for Standing Achilles on Block.

At the place where I train I use a stair step because I don't have a block. My guess is that its 3-4 cm higher than the block shown in the video. I wondered how that changes the stretch, if its still okay, and how to choose the height in general.

Antonio Alías Montoya

Similar question. Should we aim to feel more the strecth in the calves or in the hamstrings? I feel more in my calves so i m placing my toes as high as possible.

Leonhard Krahé

Not a coach but here are my thoughts:
Putting the ball of the foot up on a block dorsally extends the foot. This means that the plantar flexors of the calf are lengthened, intensifying the stretch on the achilles tendon and calf. So I believe that the higher the block, the stronger the emphasis of the stretch on the Achilles.
@Antonio Alías Montoya, according to the technique tip video, you may very well feel the stretch in the hamstrings, too. I guess the intensity depends both on how high a block you put your heel on as well as how tight your own calves and hamstrings are. More generally speaking, I think that none of the stretches, especially for the posterior chain, are supposed to work one muscle (group) in isolation, even though the emphasis may vary depending upon design of the stretch and individual tightness. Given the name of the stretch, the main focus should probably be the Achilles region though ;)

Everett Carroll

Hi Michael and Antonio,

Using something slightly higher than a block is going to deepen the stretch on your achilles/calf. A hamstring stretch is also common here. @Michael Vetter a picture or video would help us be sure if the position is okay. 

Stephen Thayer

I feel this way more in my hamstrings than in my achilles, like right behind my knee. Stepping up against a wall and driving my hip toward the wall seems to stretch my calf/achilles much better. Damn my tight hamstrings. 

Michael Vetter

Alright @Everett Carroll, here is the video :)

 

 

Michael Vetter

Could someone review the stretch maybe? :)

Pauline Taube

Hi Michael,

It shows that the video is unavailable. Please make sure that the video is not private.

Alessandro Mainente

The more you are tight the lower must be the block in order to avoid sciatic nerve pinch. as you become more flexible feel free to increase the height of the block.

Michael Vetter

@Pauline Taube, @Alessandro Mainente sorry, the video should hopefully be viewable now! Please try again.

Everett Carroll

Hi Michael,

That looks like a perfectly fine substitution for a yoga block as long as you are sensitive to the advice given above. This height shouldn't produce a super intense stretch. If it does, reduce the height. 

Michael Vetter

No it all feels good so far, just a real good stretch.

Thanks for the help!