This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Other drill instead of incline row?

Started by Yaron Horsky, March 1, 2017 · 13 Replies · 488 Views

Yaron Horsky

hello all,  I don't have rings so I can't do the Incline Row. 
Any suggestions on other exercises that I can put here? or would you just recommend finding myself a good pair of rings? :)

Thanks,
Yaron.

Everett Carroll

Hi Yaron,

Rings are ideal but some rope, straps, a couple of towels, or sturdy belts tied/attached to a doorway pull-up bar, deck, beam, or thick tree limb can all be reasonable substitutes. Some gyms also have TRX that work pretty well for the rows in F1.

Yaron Horsky
On 1.3.2017 at 8:18 PM, Everett Carroll said:

Hi Yaron,

Rings are ideal but some rope, straps, a couple of towels, or sturdy belts tied/attached to a doorway pull-up bar, deck, beam, or thick tree limb can all be reasonable substitutes. Some gyms also have TRX that work pretty well for the rows in F1.

 

sorry for the delay but thanks for the suggestions! weird that I didn't think of those :facepalm:

Tom Durham

I have TRX on the wall at home which means I can't be directly under the hanging point. I feel I can still do a decent incline row with my toes against the wall, but want to check this isn't going to cause problems later? No space for hanging rings in our little house! 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Tom Durham,

It will suffice for the mean time but don't count it as mastery. Just do the incline row on rings when you get a chance. Huge difference between the two. :)

Tom Durham

Ok, thanks, will do, although it'll be rare. If I bring my knees to the wall and flex at the knee for this exercise, that kind of gives the effect of standing further forward. Good idea, or is a straight body head to toes more important?

Everett Carroll

Is it possible to send in a video of both options @Tom Durham ?

 

Tom Durham
2 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

Is it possible to send in a video of both options @Tom Durham ?

 

Not the best video Everett but hopefully explains what I mean. Knees against the wall feels a much more verticale pull. 

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Tom,

Thanks for sending this in and sorry for the late reply. I suggest performing these with straight legs.

Here are my specific suggestions for this setup:

1. If possible, lower the handles slightly.

2. Perform them with your toes up, so only your heels are in contact with the floor. 

3. Keep your feet together. 

Way to take the time and get these dialed in  B-)

Tom Durham

Thanks Everett, much appreciated. I'll give that a shot. 

Matthew Wade

Hi Tom. I bought rings only when I (finally) understood that I could just hang them over a tree branch or local swings. Is that not an option for you? 

Tom Durham
On 04/10/2017 at 6:50 PM, Matthew Wade said:

Hi Tom. I bought rings only when I (finally) understood that I could just hang them over a tree branch or local swings. Is that not an option for you? 

Hey Matthew, not really I'm afraid, although it's a good suggestion. 

I live in Scotland and train in the morning before the rest of my family is up.  It has to be easy for me to fit in around everything else, so a trip to the park in the dark (and probably rain) doesn't really work! 

Im getting on ok with the TRX so will just continue and see how I go. 

Greg White

How about hanging them off a door way pull up bar? They need a few screws but are easy to fit and remove when not in use and the holes can be filled and painted over. 

Tom Durham
On 04/10/2017 at 6:50 PM, Matthew Wade said:

Hi Tom. I bought rings only when I (finally) understood that I could just hang them over a tree branch or local swings. Is that not an option for you? 

Hey Matthew, not really I'm afraid, although it's a good suggestion. 

I live in Scotland and train in the morning before the rest of my family is up.  It has to be easy for me to fit in around everything else, so a trip to the park in the dark (and probably rain) doesn't really work! 

Im getting on ok with the TRX so will just continue and see how I go. 

 

@Greg White, I might try that eventually, as I'll need a bar at some stage I guess. The kitchen is going to end up being a gym as well as the dining room!