This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Belated introduction and observations so far

Started by Tom Feldmann, February 28, 2017 · 0 Replies · 76 Views

Tom Feldmann

Hi All,

 I'm a little more than seven months into Foundation One and four months into the stretch series, I'm thinking it is time to introduce myself, and I would like to share some thoughts.

Just a quick Bio: I'm 53, I'm lucky, I was dealt a playable genetic hand, I can roll at 165# and 10% body fat pretty easily. I've played my hand pretty well, I eat real food, active lifestyle, skiing, climbing, surfing, slack-lining, some yoga and martial arts, very minimal time in chairs, but never the less, I have mobility challenges in the hip, shoulder, and t-spine. I have been lucky to suffer zero serious injuries, but of course, in 50+ years, I've taken my share of the " slings and arrow of outrageous fortune. " 

First. Wow, thanks, to every one. Coach Sommer and the behind the scenes wizards for putting this all together; it took a while for it to sink in, how much work went into this, the video filming alone, a staggering amount of time went into this. To all the coaches, the forum is an incredible resource, you collectively draw from, what...I'll guess 100+ years of experience,  that depth of knowledge is reflected in the excellent advice given. To my fellow GB student peers, thanks for asking such good questions! I haven't had to ask any because you're all ready on it.

So, roughly a half year into this, I have trained GST consistently, I have taken the slow and steady approach, the results are kind of blowing my mind. A few examples. Starting about 20 years ago, intermittently, but with increasing frequency, when I hiked up a mountain, my right IT band would get tight, the descent is where I paid, my right knee would get that feeling, like there's a flap of connective tissue in "the hinge", it feels wrong, After about 10 degrees of weighted flexion, it felt like I lost neurological connection. Sometimes I could stretch it, sometimes the left leg had to do most of the work, one time the left ankle rolled and I spent a pleasant night crawling through the mud to get down a volcano in Central America. Hey, sometimes you have to suffer, it's fun. Last week, I ascended and descended 3-4 thousand feet a day, for three consecutive days. I have not been able to do that without some comment from my knee, in 20 years.

My left shoulder has taken some hits over the years, to the point where 10 years ago, I could not do a push-up, or bent arm plank, I had the strength, but my shoulder wasn't having it. I am now on HBP/PE2  , 4sets6reps, my shoulder feels great.  I can do more pull-ups, in better form now, than when I was 28 and climbing 5.12. I could go on and on, I feel more stable, more fluid, stronger, and, all of this in less time and  with less training frequency  than I imagined necessary. Like I said, it's kind of blowing my mind. 

Big thanks again to all involved, I am all in. Denver in May if my travel schedule allows.