This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RC PE1 3x10

Started by Ryan Segervall, February 26, 2017 · 23 Replies · 383 Views

Ryan Segervall

 

 

- So this is my first time playing with RC PE1 after finally recovering from a nagging elbow Injury. Let me know if there is anything I can improve on/ angles you may want for the iM. 

I really tried to emphasis posterior pelvic tilt, tight core, retracted and depressed shoulder blades throughout the movement. 

Everett Carroll

Hi Ryan,

For the PE:

1. Drop your ribs down and achieve more of a hollow body shape. Your back still looked a bit arched. 

2. Not sure how this will feel since the rings are coming off of the wall and not from overhead, but try balancing on your heels instead of your toes. This might make the rows more comfortable and help with the arch in your back.

For the iM:

1. Be sure to remain upright during this stretch. You want a vertical spine. 

 

Ryan Segervall

@Everett Carroll how do these rows look? Tried to keep that hollow body position as you recommended

 

I realize after watching the how to video on the iM that Im still doing it wrong. i will make adjustments for next training session

Everett Carroll

Hi Ryan,

You went slightly too far in the other direction for your hollow shape. Your hips are actually piking. If you just press them up slightly by squeezing your glutes I think that will put you in perfect position. 

Ryan Segervall

 

 

On 2/27/2017 at 9:23 PM, Everett Carroll said:

Hi Ryan,

You went slightly too far in the other direction for your hollow shape. Your hips are actually piking. If you just press them up slightly by squeezing your glutes I think that will put you in perfect position. 

- hows this looking? Tried to keep glutes tight and strong body line the whole time. 

 

- Also made an adjustment on the iM to stand up taller. Lemme know what you think

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Ryan,

Nice improvement. You are doing a much better job of hitting the correct shape on your PE. As you do this exercise, avoid letting your head hunch forward. Keep it in a neutral position as you do your row.

On your iM your spine is still at angled quite a bit as Everett pointed out. You can see in your video that your spine is diagonal to the ground as well as curled. Scoot your feet about 1.5 ft closer to the wall so that your spine is perpendicular to the ground, or straight up and down.

Ryan Segervall

@Jeffrey Bittner Quick question for you on the scap position for this exercise. I've been preforming these while maintaining full scapular retraction and depression throughout the entire rep and set. Do you want me to go into full protraction at the end of each rep and begin each rep by depressing and retracting the scap or keep form as is? 

 

Thanks!

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Ryan,

Great question. At the bottom of each rep, as the arms are straight, it is okay for the scapula to be in a neutral position. However, at the top of the row, it is essential to have the scapula both retracted and depressed

Ryan Segervall

How are my rows lookin? I noticed my form broke slightly on my last couple of reps, as it was quite the burner of a set take a look and let me know if this is acceptable or if I should regress. 

 

I did as you said for the iM, do you still want me to move in closer than this? I notice still a slight bend in the spine. 

Everett Carroll

Hey Ryan,

I suggest clicking Too Hard for this step and regressing. Be sure you are keeping your core and glutes tight the entire time as well. For the iM, move 1 or 2 inches closer. Begin by standing with a completely straight back, grab onto the bar, and the squat straight down, keeping your back totally upright. 

Adrian Theopold

I would try to do the iM with a side mirror, at least even once, helped me a lot.

My feet a very close to the bar basically thinking "no this is way too close in, this can't be right" the first time ;).

Ryan Segervall

 

I regressed by bringing the rings up more to shoulder height. Rows felt solid, glutes, core all tight, and shoulder blades retracted down and back throughout the sets. 

Think I finally get the iM hahha. 

Let me know if im still messing this up :) 

Everett Carroll

Hey Ryan,

Yep, the iM looks good now :) 

Don't be afraid to let your shoulder blades spread apart more during the row. As your arms extend, full extend through your back. This will feel similar to the iM.

Ryan Segervall

I've progressed up to 5x9 on this exercise and thought I would post a form check to make sure im not getting ahead of myself. 5x9 volume felt manageable, hard on the final couple reps but not over the top to where my form really started to suffer.  

Let me know if this is an appropriate level of intensity, and if there is anything I can clean up

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Ryan,

It looks good, keep it up!

Ryan Segervall

 

So today I tried something a little different with the reps and sets. Before I was on 5x9 (45 reps) and was at the point where I felt ready to progress onwards to 4x12. Last week when I went for 4x12 I failed in the fourth set at around 6 reps, so I wasnt even close.

 Today I tried splitting the total volume of 4x12 (48 reps) into separate sets following a pyramid like fashion. 15,12,10,6,6 for a total of 49reps. I was able to get through this total volume at what felt like an appropriate intensity, still had a about 2 reps left in the tank on my last set, and my form didnt suffer (at least in my eyes it didnt).

To me this approach appears to be a good way to continue adding on volume in a way that is easier to progress/maintain good form, sticking to small progressions of 5-10% increases in volume. I know it is straying away from the GB template, but in the world of training there is always more than one way to skin a cat, or in this case work your way up to mastery volume of 5x15. 

 

Also curious to how my form looks. I notice that throughout this session my foot placement varied from full plantar flexion, to pivoting on the heels. is there a preferred technique? going to focus on keeping this consistent throughout next session. Anything else that I should clean up? 

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Ryan,

Stick to the mastery templates and keep each set the same number of reps. If you want more volume, add an extra set or two of the same number of reps. For example, if you're scheduled to train 5x9r, and you want to be extra prepared for 4x12r, you could do 6x9r.

Your form looks good Ryan.

Ryan Segervall

@Everett Carroll 

put my big boy panties on and crushed 4x12 today. Very hyped! 

(Creating max tension through grip, core, glute activation and proper breathing made a big difference :) ) 

Ryan Segervall

@Everett Carroll This was a 5x15 attempt. I was feeling really good when I walked into the gym and was able to get 4x15 for the past two weeks so I went for it. My general consensus is that this is a big fail and I should go back down to 4x15 and submit another form check to make sure there isnt anything we are missing. 

 

just thought I would check in and get your advise. 

Everett Carroll

Hey Ryan,

Definitely drop it back a step. That last set was too hard for you. 

Ryan Segervall
On 6/30/2017 at 11:55 AM, Everett Carroll said:

Hey Ryan,

Definitely drop it back a step. That last set was too hard for you. 

 been a couple weeks on 4x15 so I tried 5x15. Definitely tough but felt better than my previous attempt. What are your thoughts? 

Everett Carroll

Nice improvement, Ryan! Just stick with step 9 for a little longer and see if you can't crank out an extra couple of reps on the last set. I like to shoot for 17 reps on the last set :) You'll get it soon! Your commitment to this mastery is going to pay off big time. 

Ryan Segervall
On 8/6/2017 at 4:28 PM, Everett Carroll said:

Nice improvement, Ryan! Just stick with step 9 for a little longer and see if you can't crank out an extra couple of reps on the last set. I like to shoot for 17 reps on the last set :) You'll get it soon! Your commitment to this mastery is going to pay off big time. 

- Was able to get 19 clean reps on my last set. Going to go ahead and click that smiley and move onto PE2 :) 

Alessandro Mainente

Ni ce work Ryan!