When doing a bridge, do I want my glutes to be working or relaxed? At first I have my glutes clenched but if I relax them I can get into my bridge a little deeper. I was wondering what the recommended or proper form should be.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Are the flutes working or relaxed in a bridge?
Started by Chris Banul, February 26, 2017 · 7 Replies · 110 Views
Hi Chris,
Good question. When doing the Thoracic Bridge you want to keep your glutes engaged, this will prevent you from putting too much load on your low back. You're supposed to lean into the Stretch through your shoulders and thoracic.
To ensure proper form I'd recommend to submit a form check. And we get to follow your progress too
Hi Chris,
I suggest going one pole higher and spreading your feet a little wider apart for now. Your main focus now should be on straightening your arms, elevating your scapulas (shrugging your shoulders to your ears). You can always submit a video of the entire hold; that is always the most helpful for us.
Thanks for the help !!! I will focus on your instructions next time I do the series.
Glutes must work all the time, how much they work it is a good sign of good bridge, in fact when you perform a correct bridge you shoulde be able to push with the heels and lift the toes from the floor, this is a good sing that the weight it is positioned on the palms of the hands and the shoulders are completely flexed.
So glad I asked this question !!! I've been doing the thoracic bridge series for 3 months now and theses tips will definitely help me improve. I'm assuming I should try to push through my heels even from the elevated position, too?
Hi @Chris Banul, yes you are correct. Pushing your heels from an elevated position towards opening your chest. Keep us posted with your progress. We are looking forward to it. ![]()