Modifying training to accommodate asymmetrically strong legs

Started by Christopher Adrian Clough, February 25, 2017 · 2 Replies · 2,585 Views

Christopher Adrian Clough

My left leg is significantly stronger than my right. As a reference, on any given day I can do 3-4 one legged squats on the side of a box on my left leg, and 0-1 squats on my right leg (butt all the way down to my heels). (Here is a picture I found on the internet of the movement I'm talking about (without the dumbells): 1-leg-squat.jpg) 

What are your thoughts on doing an unequal amount of reps per leg (where this is possible; e.g. the Cossack squat) in order to counter this imbalance? Is there a given preferred ratio? Should I play around a bit until I find something that seems to work? Or will this go away after a while automatically even without doing an unequal amount of movements per leg? 

Thanks! 

Tanya Hill

Hi Christopher, 

Having one stronger side is very common. Through my experience, I have the same with my right leg being very dominant. With my GST training I work my weaker leg slower and do add in a few extra reps and it has helped me hugely. The GB program will pull out your imbalances as well as help you balance the body so don't go overboard.;)

 

Christopher Adrian Clough

Thanks for your helpful, lightning-fast reply!