This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

pHS PE1 + iM

Started by Adrian Theopold, February 25, 2017 · 10 Replies · 167 Views

Adrian Theopold

Hey everybody,

would be very glad if you could check my first pHS progression.

The iM already feels quite good, the first set always looks a little bit stiff, but after that i get almost always as deep as in the third rep.

During the PE I try to maintain PPT und press through the shoulders, the hands are shoulder width apart. I think the form is missing something here, but don't know exactly what.

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the submission!

For your PE:

1. From the starting plank position, be sure to protract more. Spread your shoulder blades apart. You can think of pushing your chest away from the floor. 

2. As you press back in the movement, shrug your shoulders to your ears as early as possible. Keep on pushing into the floor!

3. As you return to the plank, do your best to protract as early as possible. Begin pushing your chest away from the floor as soon as you can. 

For the iM:

1. Switch your grip so your palms are facing down. This is a safer position for your shoulders. 

2. You will want to keep working on this iM until your hips are at least level with your feet. You want to be flat. 

 

Keep up the hard work!

Adrian Theopold

Tanks @Everett Carroll that's very good advice, though hips below feet seems really tough at the moment.

I definitely feel that there is room for improvement, but I think that I might have to change the thing I'm holding on to in order to get that low?

Will post an update some times.

Everett Carroll

Hi Adrian,

I think you can achieve more range of motion in this position. If you are still able to get a good stretch using this distance between your hands and feet, then stay here. 

Kai Ewert

I have found that - a bit to my initial surprise - the distance between hands and feet does not have a large effect on how low you can get the hips with respect to the hands and feet...

Suzanna McGee
3 hours ago, Kai Ewert said:

 

I have found that - a bit to my initial surprise - the distance between hands and feet does not have a large effect on how low you can get the hips with respect to the hands and feet...

 

My observation too. Glad I am not alone. I find that the closer my hands and feet, the more I struggle with the grip strength, but the posterior chain stretch is not better/stronger/more intense. 

Francisco Garcia

Hips level with the feet?  The demonstration video has the hips just about level with the hands and nowhere near the feet.  Is he doing it wrong?

Alessandro Mainente

Hey, Francisco, are you referring to IM I'm correct? if yes you need to pass the hands level for a minimum carryover on the following PE's, optimal work could be hips at feet level.

Kai Ewert

@Francisco Garcia Alessandro likes to stretch our minds a bit with regards to what is possible and required... ;)

 

Adrian Theopold

I hopefully made a bit of progress on the exercise, this is a video from about 2 weeks ago, but form hasn't changed much till then. Would this be an acceptable form for mastery?

(please ignore #sweaty armpits)

The iM gets better too, but not anywhere near the hands already. Will post an update soon.

Everett Carroll

Hey Adrian,

Sweaty armpits are a part of GST! Your form is looking really good. I have two small suggested adjustments:

1. Be sure your shoulders are directly over your wrists. This is a good habit to start forming early with your pHS work. 

2. Drop your hips slightly lower when you return to the support position. You don't want your hips/butt to be above your shoulders in the top support. 

Keep it up!